View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #89 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonster View Post
This is a good point. VDC makes it tough to learn the limits of the car because when it kicks in and shuts everything down, you are never sure whether it was due to a tiny bit of a wheel slip or because the back end was about to whip around. I don't understand why it can't just slow things down to the extent necessary, rather than shutting it all down for a second.
I'm not sure if its as much about learning the limits as it is about just performing well with it on. The fact of the matter is if you're sick of it coming in a shutting everything down, the only alternative is shuting it off, so its all or nothing. If there was a button on our cars called 'safe mode' and it wouldn't let the engine rev over 4k and you couldn't go over 55, yes that would probably be less accident prone, but if the only way to turn it off was to turn on 'death mode' which turned off ABS, VDC, Airbags, power steering and threw in a 100 shot of NOS when you least expect it, you don't really have a really fun choice on your hands.

VDC's biggest downfall in keeping the car out of accidents is how overbearing it is. If there were varying levels of VDC people would be less likely to just shut it off, but if its 'annoying nanny that ruins all the fun' or the slight risk of spinning out, i think a lot of people choose the latter, and on a modern sports car like this, it shouldn't be so black and white.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote