View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #667 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyz10 View Post
Guys I was invited by Nissan to participate in one on one interview with regards to my z. They are aware of the oil temp issues that's going around our forum. They said there is a factory oil cooler already available for around 400 bucks and installation is I think about 400 bucks also. They said if you don't track the z then you absolutely don't need to get this oil cooler but if you do track it then you should get it. That's from Nissan. End of story. It's your choice if you track or not . Period. Stop debating, there is no sense. You Ytack you get an oil coller, you don't track don't.
I don't track, and I have yet to actually trigger limp mode, but I'm still getting a cooler (going in Tuesday I hope, along with more oil capacity in general). Ambient temp on the car display today was 101. Cruising in high gear it stabilized around 230, which is fine if it would stay there. One little half-mile open stretch with some nice curves came up, and I burned through it at the limit and then accelerated up onto a highway ramp at full throttle. Checked the oil temp as I was bringing it down to a good coasting speed on the highway: 255F. Then I backed off and cruised in 7th under the speed limit a while to get it back to 230.

There's nothing wrong with 255 really, as an occasional burst, but I wouldn't want to sustain that kind of temp, as it affects oil viscosity and oil life. So right now, in the interests of keeping the oil (and thus the engine) in good shape my driving is limited by oil temps. I have to back off and let the car cool occasionally, and/or I have to pop the hood and fan-cool the car when I get home before I shut it down. I don't want to be doing that, and frankly shouldn't have to. Luckily the aftermarket has fixes