View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Yes and you completely missed my point. You were trying to make an argument that the tune is crap because it didnt have room for an unknown amount of leaning out. Not to mention their tunes are, in my opinion, too safe.

Oops, you're too busy trying to be a smartass to understand things. Thanks for the basic-as-bricks tuning lesson and advice.

A good tune should sit at somewhere between rich and lean...where it's supposed to be. An exhaust mod can swing that balance towards lean and blow it up in no time. Yes you do want to tune some margin of safety into your target afr, but loss of power isnt the only downside of running rich. Believe it or not, running rich can also lead to increased cyl pressures which can cause detonation and blow up the motor. Neither extreme is healthy.

Regardless, Its not whether I'm a stillen fan, I haven't really talked to anyone from stillen in months and judging by their lack of presence here, it seems almost as if they have packed their bags. It has nothing to do with that, just trying to add some sense of objective information to this thread that would otherwise be filled with misinformation...

Could it have been the boost? sure. Is it more likely that it was the headers he had just put on the car? sure.

Sorry I picked you to intervene and make a point, nothing personal bud.

Carry on with the torches and pitchforks folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM View Post
My point was that there should have been some room for fluctuations. Adding a header should not lead to a blown motor. "So perfect"?? Seriously? If it's teetering on the edge of the leaner side of the optimal AFR, changing elevations would mess with it.

OOPS, just saw your sig. You're a stillen guy. My apologies. I saw one of those "so perfect" stillen tuned superchargers up against a GTM on a dyno. People who have installed both speak of the fitment with the stillen and how it makes you fit your car to the kit rather than the other way around.

Either way I feel terribly for the owner but why he would romp on it without a tune is beyond me.

Just goes to show he simply wanted to go fast and didnt have the knowledge. I'm not saying he had to build it himself, but to invest all that money and not understand that he shouldn't get on it until it was properly tuned doesn't add up. It's really his fault. If all he wanted was power then yea, lean it out with the current set-up. But he should have told the tuner to leave it a little on the richer side if he was planning on headers all along.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote