View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfreakazoid View Post
Thanks for the info. I was looking into a lwrc but they are really expensive. A few hundred more than the pof's. I'm still considering which to go with right now. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money for a good quality gun that will last me for a while but i'm not sure if I want drop that kind of money. I do like the pof's but again the lwrc is really good to.
If you really want to go piston, and you can afford it, LWRC is a great option. Keep in mind that, last I checked some months ago, they had a pretty long backlog on their orders too, though. You can also skip the piston thing and get a high quality conventional AR from the likes of Bushmaster, LMT, Colt, or (my current favorite) Noveske for less money than an LWRC piston gun.

Quote:
What is the deal with the rail system that pof and lwrc uses. I see some mid and full lengths. What are the big differences between the 2? Is the longer one, your able to put more things on the rail?
I have a friend that has a ar and he bought a cheap rail system and it was ugly because it was really big (fat). The rail system on the pof's and lwrc, do you know if they are slim?
Most railed forearm systems are going to be roughly the same diameter, within reason. Usually the length of the rail is chosen based on the length of the gas system (as in, how many inches down the barrel the gas port is driled, which flows hot gasses back to the receiver to move the action (or in the case of a piston gun, the hot gasses drive a piston rod)), which in turn is usually at least somewhat proportional to the length of the barrel. 16" barrels are pretty standards on ARs. If you want a long-range tack-driver you could go 20", but then again the 5.56 doesn't have great terminal ballistics at long range anyways, you may as well buy a 7.62x51 gun in that case, like the AR-10, or just a bolt-action gun in .308 or 30-06.

Going shorter than 16" barrel length involves a bunch of legal hassle with filing NFA tax papers with the Feds, as it's considered a Short Barreled Rifle, which is federally regulated. You may not even be able to own such things in California, I donno.

Quote:
Just to let you know the bushmaster is illegal in cali lol. I don't know why but that's what they tell me.
Specific brands aren't illegal in Cali as far as I know, but you guys do have different rules than the rest of the country on making any AR-15 legal in general. IIRC one of the biggest PITA ones is that you have to have a fixed magazine of some sort. I'm really not up on Cali's assault rifle "ban" laws, but the AR-15.com howtown forum for California can probably help there.

Quote:
What brands do you like for lower rec? i was looking into getting a spikes tactical and kaiser defence spikes tactical lower receiver
Most of the lowers are pretty similar, I've never seen any big difference between the manufacturers of quality forged lowers. Just make sure it's forged (the way it's built, most good ones are) are you're good to go on the lower. You may have to buy a California-specific lower receiver btw, to comply with the laws there. Again, I'm really not up on the Cali legal issues, you'll have to look into that yourself.