Nissan 370Z Forum  

Question on shifter boot / headunit removal on manual transmission

Question on manual transmission 370Z radio R&R: I've been reading the various postings on shifter bezel / console removal for a manual transmission 370z and it's not clear to me

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Roadster
ksagis is on a distinguished road
Default Question on shifter boot / headunit removal on manual transmission

Question on manual transmission 370Z radio R&R: I've been reading the various postings on shifter bezel / console removal for a manual transmission 370z and it's not clear to me if one needs to remove the shift knob to completely remove the shifter bezel to subsequently be able to remove the various parts and eventually get the radio out.

Can one simply pull the shifter bezel up and move it to one side and then remove items like the radio bezel, the AC bezel, and then eventually remove the radio (with the shifter bezel just pushed to the side)

It sounds like such a pain to break the thread lock that I'm wondering if it's easier to leave the shifter boot and bezel attached and try to work around it rather than going through the pain of taking off the knob.

Hope the question is reasonably clear, I'm having a hard time explaining it well.
ksagis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Is it completely possible, sure. But you'll have that trim piece in your way all the time.

It is easier to do it with the trim gone, but not impossible.

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Nismo
YzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond repute

No need to remove the whole boot to remove that center console. Just lift it up and put a towel over it. You do have to do a little bit of acrobatics to get to the various harness release points but nothing crazy. Removing the radio is real easy. The whole system has "dummy proof pins" that align things and hold it together as you disassemble/reassemble.
YzGyz is offline   Reply With Quote