Nissan 370Z Forum  

Opinion on this Amp for an upgrade

Gathering "stuff" to upgrade audio, already have a Kenwood DNX9900HD HU to go in, installing Focal P165v30's for the front and yes doing rear fill with a set of Focal's

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2011 Wannabe Nismo
OldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opinion on this Amp for an upgrade

Gathering "stuff" to upgrade audio, already have a Kenwood DNX9900HD HU to go in, installing Focal P165v30's for the front and yes doing rear fill with a set of Focal's 3 W2 Be midrange speakers to be powered by the HU. Not putting in a sub, so that is not part of the equation.

Came across this yesterday at a local shop, they had quite the selection but salesman was pushing this with my setup. Seems to getting some good reviews - Pioneer PRS-D800 Compact in size, easily can fit under the seat, pure power with no internal crossover (that's how I am understanding it at least)

Specifications

Number of Channels: 2/1
Maximum Power Output: 600W
Continuous Power Output (2 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N): 150W x 2
Continuous Power Output (4 Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N): 125W x 2
Continuous Power Output Bridged (4 Ω): 300W x 1
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 80kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion (4 Ω): < 0.004% (1kHz)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A Weighted, at 1 kHz): >105db
Dimensions (WxHxD): 10" x 2" x 4-1/8"

Last edited by OldFart; 09-07-2013 at 08:00 AM.
OldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2 feet, 3 pedals
RonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty Sweet if ya ask me
Just noticed you were from Carlisle..... I'm currently working in New Cumberland, and Camp Hill. Howdy, Nieghbor!
P99rs Head Unit--- Amps- 2 Pioneer Prs800d --- Zapco ST1000MX---Zapco ST-4XSQ---- SI BM mk5 Subs---SI TM65v2 Midbass--- SI M3 mids--- SI M25 xbl2 tweeters ----- 2016 MECA street class 3rd place at world finals

Last edited by RonRizz; 09-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
RonRizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Track Member

OldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond reputeOldFart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
Pretty Sweet if ya ask me
Just noticed you were from Carlisle..... I'm currently working in New Cumberland, and Camp Hill. Howdy, Nieghbor!
Small world as I am usually heading up to Frackville almost every weekend... So a big wave back!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09' Touring 6spd
djrelic is on a distinguished road

You could always remotely wire crossovers as well.

It looks like that amplifier is needs to break out into crossovers anyways. You will always have crossovers issued with good speakers. I also loved the Boston Acoustic Z6s from back in the day, but the crossovers were like bricks. I had JL audio Z 6.5s when they came out but I remember focal as being the benchmark for anything... like a 8" sub was about 1,200.00 back in the day. when people would just buy like 3 Solo-X's and throw them in a 20ft ported box and get fart can bass.
djrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2012 Nissan 370Z
Shadezz will become famous soon enoughShadezz will become famous soon enough

My choice would be PDX F4 and just run all 4 speakers @ 120 RMS per channel!!

Or cheaper version....MRX-F65

Either will give you great power, a birth sheet and if you take a moment and read up on Alpines PDX tech you'll understand why these are sure winners.

Shadezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '14 370Z, '12 4Runr
H2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to behold

I'm running a Pioneer GM-D8604 in my Z and have been very pleased with it's very clean output. In my 4Runner, I have an Infinity KappaFour; this has also performed well.

Not sure that the Kappa would fit under a seat (the Pioneer does).
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Track Member

I ended up buying the Kenwood unit, like the size of it along with the output. I don't plan on amping the midrange speakers. Reading some forums Focal's apparently are pickey with the amps that are powering them, taking a chance - but I think it will work out. Thanks for suggestions though!!!!