Nissan 370Z Forum  

No audio, crackling sound from speakers.

Hi, Help what's happening here to her indoors (wife in the US) 2010 roadster; Driving along audio on, speakers start to crackle - noises similar to sparking or shorting out

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: TT RS Roadster (8S)
MrZapie is on a distinguished road
Default No audio, crackling sound from speakers.

Hi,
Help what's happening here to her indoors (wife in the US) 2010 roadster;

Driving along audio on, speakers start to crackle - noises similar to sparking or shorting out and very loud and quite alarming to the extent my wife got out of the car expecting it to turn into a mobile BBQ.

Speakers still make the same crackling sparking noise with audio and screen off.
Shutting the car down will sometimes sort the problem but invariably on a restart there is no audio, radio and media play but no sound from the speakers.

I'm guessing it may be a poor earth (ground) somewhere - does the roadster have a separate amplifier?

Any help greatly appreciated - Thanks in anticipation
MrZapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Almost sounds like the terminals leading to the speakers are wet.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member

Smile

Genius, as ever logic prevails - happened on a wet journey - brilliant!

And get this - we've just had a new roof done under warranty.
The evidence is pointing to wet terminals, unless of course anyone else knows different.

Would the problem on one terminal manifest itself through all the speakers as the crackling and "sparking" noises are in full on surround sound.

The car is going in on Tuesday - where should I tell the fitters to look for a possible problem?

Many Thanks
Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know for certain if your car has the bose amp or not, but that would be the first place i would look (especially if that amp is located in the trunk area).

if it's just one speaker i would just check that one particular location, but if it's all around, then it's probably happening at the amp.

the crackling/sparking noise doesn't usually happen pre-amp (if line level it usually just cuts out or makes scratchy sounds) so probably not at the headunit.

i could be wrong, i donno, since i can't diagnose your car in person over the internet.

you'd be amazed how wet these speakers can get inside the doors.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

My money is on the amp either getting fried or wet.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Base Member

Thanks for all the info' - I'll let you know the outcome
Thanks