Nissan 370Z Forum  

Bought Appradio 2 - need to build out

BestBuy was clearing out their Appradio 2s, so I picked one up for $199. Seemed reasonable as I planned to add a backup camera and needed either a new HU

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '14 370Z, '12 4Runr
H2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to behold
Default Bought Appradio 2 - need to build out

BestBuy was clearing out their Appradio 2s, so I picked one up for $199. Seemed reasonable as I planned to add a backup camera and needed either a new HU or mirror. Since I also wanted BT, seemed like an ok choice (I DIDN'T want a nav HU - I like the smart phone offerings better).

My thoughts are to do components in the doors: I've had good luck with Rockford Fosgate and am considering T-1675s. If you feel strongly about the door/dash speakers, please advise. Note that I will add a subwoofer; that might logically affect comments.

I have the non Bose system (2012) and only have vacant grills in the back; is it worth putting something there?

I'm struggling with which way to go with the subwoofer. I have an extra polk 12" sitting around and was considering putting it into one of these:

Reasonable? Horrific overkill? Note that I like a broad spectrum of music from classical to what could be described as "contemporary urban ethnic sounds." Other ideas on a sub?

Is there a big variation in backup cameras? Should I go inexpensive or just get the pioneer?

I noticed there is a fair bit of road noise. although a certain amount is an enjoyable part of the whole zexperience, I have a roll of dynamat laying around and wouldn't mind putting it to good use. Is it worth the trouble to do some sound deadening? Where is it most or least helpful? Anything else anyone wants to offer is welcomed. I am a 2nd day member, but have already taken to going through the very informative write-ups.

Thanks to y'all.
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 13 370Z Midnight Blu
Rhino111 is on a distinguished road

The sound deading material is a good idea. I put some in to calm down road noise and it did a great job but you can still enjoy some as it does not cancel out all noise.
Rhino111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Drives: 2010 370z 40th A.E.
LostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to beholdLostSol is a splendid one to behold

My $20 ebay back up cam serves me well. Many will tell you to ignore the rear speakers but I cant stand a missing rear stage so maybe just put something simple in there? 3 1/2" 2 ways perhaps?
2010 Nissan 370Z 40th Anniversary Edition #762/1000
| Forgestar | Michelin | Swift | TRS | Z Speed | ARK | Z1 | Hawk | CFE | Evo-R | GTMat | Stillen | Seibon | Whiteline | Pioneer |
LostSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn still 280 here
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
Vaughanabe13 has a spectacular aura aboutVaughanabe13 has a spectacular aura about

I also saw the AppRadio2 heavily discounted at BB. Anyone know why? Has it been discontinued or something?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Buggy
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

H2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to beholdH2O_Doc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughanabe13 View Post
I also saw the AppRadio2 heavily discounted at BB. Anyone know why? Has it been discontinued or something?
Pioneer came out with a few models and has a rebate on them. They have a deal with BestBuy where BB can just discount them (no hassle with the rebate process), so there is that discount and the fact that BB is updating to newer models (therefore an additional discount). You can also buy through Crutchfield, but you'll have to send in the rebate.

The new OS has been amazingly stable. I haven't had any crashes and it is very responsive.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSol View Post
My $20 ebay back up cam serves me well. Many will tell you to ignore the rear speakers but I cant stand a missing rear stage so maybe just put something simple in there? 3 1/2" 2 ways perhaps?
Thanks for the suggestions. I got some Polk DXi 4" coax speakers. Again, the cheap bastard I am, I got them on clearance. I like Polk, so I didn't go with what I thought would be an inferior grade speaker (just affordable).
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Cbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud ofCbtech has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I got some Polk DXi 4" coax speakers. Again, the cheap bastard I am, I got them on clearance. I like Polk, so I didn't go with what I thought would be an inferior grade speaker (just affordable).
I got a pair of Polk DXI's in the door and they are just a tad bit too bright for me... looking to replace with a Pair of Memphis audio instead
Cbtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbtech View Post
I got a pair of Polk DXI's in the door and they are just a tad bit too bright for me... looking to replace with a Pair of Memphis audio instead
If your looking for smooth sound I recommend going with morel or more budget friendly image dynamics.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
If your looking for smooth sound I recommend going with morel or more budget friendly image dynamics.
I haven't put in the components yet; if you'd like to make a suggestion I'd appreciate it.

Edit: got it on your suggestion; looking at the Morels now.

Last edited by H2O_Doc; 04-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 370Z/Sport/Black/MT
tommyguns is a name known to alltommyguns is a name known to alltommyguns is a name known to alltommyguns is a name known to alltommyguns is a name known to alltommyguns is a name known to all

I have a complete Morel setup with ZERO complaints. The systems rocks without being over powering.
If your using an Android phone, ARLiberator is a must.
09 Sport / MB / 6sd / Nismo"R" Intake / Eibach Pro Kit / Z1 25 row cooler / JWT LW FW / New Short Block 3/11/11 /H&R 15fr 20rr/DBA 4000/FI CB with 12"res./Morel/JL/"Division"mod/SPC/EcuTek/M370/ZEX C SHOT/ART's/NRG
tommyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyguns View Post
I have a complete Morel setup with ZERO complaints. The systems rocks without being over powering.
If your using an Android phone, ARLiberator is a must.
All worked out fine with the Appradio 2 and iPhone 5, but it is enough of a pain dealing with Apple's lockdown of everything that I'm thinking of going Android. I've been looking at that ARLiberator.

The 4" speakers I got for the rear were too much work to make fit, so I traded them for 3.5s. Turned out fine. I dynamatted the bejesus out of the car and it made a HUGE difference.

So glad I didn't get the Bose Nav system.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
All worked out fine with the Appradio 2 and iPhone 5, but it is enough of a pain dealing with Apple's lockdown of everything that I'm thinking of going Android. I've been looking at that ARLiberator.

The 4" speakers I got for the rear were too much work to make fit, so I traded them for 3.5s. Turned out fine. I dynamatted the bejesus out of the car and it made a HUGE difference.

So glad I didn't get the Bose Nav system.
You can not go wrong with android
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

My app radio:

iPhone mirroring:

Playing with camera:

I picked up 4 Polk DXi 12s ($50 for all 4 from a friend that buys open box pallets) and put one of them in:

It isn't clean or elegant; many of you have much nice installs, but it fits neatly under the painted rear portion of the hatch and is actually hard to see unless you are looking hard.

Bass knob: