Nissan 370Z Forum  

Need Advice

I had this installed as my replacement to the BOSE system in the touring for my 09. The BOSE was supposed to be decent but it bit balls pretty bad

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DEpointfive0
  • 1 Post By bigaudiofanat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370z 7AT no-sport
Eighties Meta is on a distinguished road
Default Need Advice

I had this installed as my replacement to the BOSE system in the touring for my 09. The BOSE was supposed to be decent but it bit balls pretty bad this is better but sound still sounds like it all has to come from front and it just isn't LOUD enough for when I want to listen to some stuff really loud. I don't understand how replacing all the speakers (granted only 1 step up from stock speakers) with the new headunit doesn't generate the sound I'm looking for. I'm still stuck in the 80s, lots of 80's metal (Megadeth, metallica, Fates Warning, etc) I want the riff's loud, the bass very audible and I need to feel the drums. what am I missing? Amp? subwoofer? the settings have a cone with front/back and side to side/side settings, if I put it dead center so front/back is equal it's like there is barely any sound, have to shift bias to front which sounds good to a degree but I should be able to hear the bass/drums from the rear I would think but either I forgot to tell them something during install or something ain't right.

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH
Kicker KS 6 1/2 Comps
Kicker KS 4'

at the same time as this I had my backup camera, XM radio, etc stuff done.

I'm confused about where the 6.5 and 4'inch speakers are. Since there are what looks like two in the front dash area, two in the door and two behind the seats. if it isn't a microsoft product unfortunately I don't know jack squat.

any stereo guru's that come to the Columbia car meet?
2009 370z Touring 7AT/AAM 2.5 true dual exhaust/AAM DE test pipes/z1 vqde35 headers/AAM cold air intake (R-line)/Motordyne M370/Quaife LSD/z1 brake upgd pkg/Swift Spec-R springs/WhiteLine Front&Rear sway bars with endlinks
Eighties Meta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '09 370Z Tour CY M6
JohnsZ will become famous soon enoughJohnsZ will become famous soon enough

Taking into account that I'm probably a "few" years older than you or maybe it's just me but I think the stock Bose system and speaker setup in my Touring Z is awesome. I wouldn't want to change a thing! Not only am I a musician, I love listening to classic rock such as Billy Joel, Sting, Elton John, Moody Blues, Paul McCartney etc and especially their live events where there is a large orchestra playing in the background. Billy Joel's live performance in Shea Stadium, Sting in Berlin, and Paul McCartney in NY just to name a few are absolutley awesome to listen to in my Z. I have never heard a better stereo system in any car than the Bose system in my Touring Z and I also love to turn the volume way up. There is no vibration and no distortion no matter how loud it is. If I want any better sound than that, I'll stay home and listen to my home stereo. Just IMHO! Maybe it's not the stereo system but your choice of music....ha ha ha!

Last edited by JohnsZ; 03-04-2013 at 01:26 PM.
JohnsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370z 7AT no-sport
Eighties Meta is on a distinguished road

no doubt my choice is a music is a mitigating factor but I thought we had a billion audio heads. I guess nobody likes me enough or I didn't provide enough information. I hate to take it to an audio shop and say "make my chit go boom boom!"
2009 370z Touring 7AT/AAM 2.5 true dual exhaust/AAM DE test pipes/z1 vqde35 headers/AAM cold air intake (R-line)/Motordyne M370/Quaife LSD/z1 brake upgd pkg/Swift Spec-R springs/WhiteLine Front&Rear sway bars with endlinks
Eighties Meta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighties Meta View Post
no doubt my choice is a music is a mitigating factor but I thought we had a billion audio heads. I guess nobody likes me enough or I didn't provide enough information. I hate to take it to an audio shop and say "make my chit go boom boom!"
LOL, just give it a min or a few days
Bigaudiofanat will be here shortly to address all your concerns
chknhawk likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

For your listening tastes, you need MOAR POWER. 200W would be more than adequate for me, but I seldom turn the stock Bose system up to 20. A beefy amp for the sub-woofer may be all you need - feed all your 200W to the other drivers.

1) Cars are terrible listening environments. Impossible to get true hi-fi. The smaller the environment, the worse things get.
2) Everybody's ears are different. What sounds good to me might sound like crap to you. Go for what sounds good to you.
3) Clean power (low distortion) is more important than the amount of power.
4) A lot of amps nowadays are better than your ears. Spend your efforts/money on good transducers (eg, speakers) and convenience features. Don't buy the cheapest amp, but going with the more expensive ones is usually a waste of money.
5) Wiring is important. Keep splices to an absolute minimum. Make sure the power to your amp(s) is big enough to handle the big thumps. Make sure your signal wiring is well shielded. Make sure speaker wires are big enough and routed away for noise sources.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

OP, I know what your after. As an audiophile I recommend looking into upgrading your speakers as well as adding an amp. If your running your new speakers off your bose amp that is your first BIG problem. Read over this thread for more information about that.

What to know about Bose

Kicker speakers are not bad but for what your after your going to have to drop a bit more money. Image dynamics Hertz, or focal are a few choices I would look at for higher quality and much louder sound. Even running your kickers off an aftermarket amp would improve sound. It just dependable on your budget. The small speakers your looking for are located behind your seats and I do not recommend using them, just use your front stage for the best sound.
chknhawk likes this.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 BS 7AT 370z
NickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud ofNickTurnon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to NickTurnon

Quote:
Kicker speakers are not bad but for what your after your going to have to drop a bit more money. Image dynamics Hertz, or focal are a few choices I would look at for higher quality and much louder sound. Even running your kickers off an aftermarket amp would improve sound. It just dependable on your budget. The small speakers your looking for are located behind your seats and I do not recommend using them, just use your front stage for the best sound.
Matt- I sent you a PM. Need your help, "BIG" Time.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: Like a batouttahell!
chknhawk will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to chknhawk

Im with you bigaudiofanat, I will say this though. I bought a base sport and I got the stock bottom of the barrel radio because I knew I was just going to rip it out anyway. I put an aftermarket radio in that is actually a china model (no namer). With that and my ipod together I am able to get some pretty amazing sound out of the factory speakers without much distortion. I can hear it all loud and clear and I am also experiencing bass that was not there with the factory head. IMHO the head unit is where the majority of your sound quality will come from. Garbage in garbage out... not too far from Microsoft mentality. Speakers can make a difference but if you have a garbage head your speakers wont matter. It looks like you have a decent pioneer HU. I had a pioneer in my 3000gt before with infinity (one of the best speakers made IMO) speakers and it sounded pretty good even without a sub. I listen to some of the same music you do. Don't know if you are playing from a CD or ipod or what. If it is from an ipod check the EQ settings on the ipod to maybe tune the sound before it gets to the head unit. Thats what I did and mine sounds great with a no name head unit and factory speaker. :-)

Oh yeah.. and I am competing with my fully open exhaust when I ride so and it still sounds good. :-P
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
LOL, just give it a min or a few days
Bigaudiofanat will be here shortly to address all your concerns
Hey look, Bigaudiofanat showed up!