Nissan 370Z Forum  

FOCAL Audio

I am looking to get Focal components in my car. I would like to know if anyone has the hook up or know where to get a good deal?

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: AVY 26"; 40th #211
speedygreene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speedygreene
Default FOCAL Audio

I am looking to get Focal components in my car. I would like to know if anyone has the hook up or know where to get a good deal?
speedygreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
jcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to all

Amazon.com: focal - Focal / Car & Vehicle Electronics: Electronics
2012 PW NISMO #0559 - GT Spec Brace Kit - Swift Springs - ARK TP & Invidia CBE K&N Intake - UpRev Tune - 15mm Z1 Spacers & Studs - StopTech Slotted Rotors & SS Lines - ZSpeed CMAK with Stage 2 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel
jcosta79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

If you do not care about the warranty, you can buy from amazon or woofersetc or even ebay. However Be aware of knock offs as I have been reading about a lot of counterfeits coming out of hong kong as well as Australia.

I have installed focal speakers in many different cars. A popular model is the polyglass line. I myself am running KRX3's as well as all focal amps and a mosconi processor. However I am also going for a high end install to demo to my customers.

Keep a few things in mind when buying your focals. They lower power, you will want to invest in a good quality amp as well. Sure the polyglass line will run just fine on a aftermarket head unit, they sound even better with an amp.

Position of your tweeters. If you can, I would install your tweeters "off axis- not pointed directly at you" such as in your a pillars. The stock location is a good place for them, however your going to want to play with your EQ settings of your head unit and/or turn the switch on the crossover to a negative number. Some installers even recommend reversing the polarity of the tweeters to make them sound smoother. You will just want to play around a bit to get the best out of them. As a installer I have been very pleased with their sound every time I use them.

Please feel free to ask me anything as I am in the middle of prep for my build.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: '13 Magma Red Nismo
Naenyn is on a distinguished road

I am looking at the K2P's .. compared some of the Focals and JL's at a local shop and thought the K2P's sounded phenomenal.

A different local dealer/installer told me the following when I mentioned the K2P's to him (he doesn't sell them):

Quote:
I have not really listened to the Focals but I have replaced some. Mostly
due to the cone becoming distorted / mis-shaped after high temp. exposure.
(AZ summers) For a higher end speaker in the Rockford line up. I would
recommend the T5 series or the T3 series components. The T5s are the best
ones Rockford makes. Also more power handling thant The Focals.

Last edited by Naenyn; 10-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Naenyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naenyn View Post
I am looking at the K2P's .. compared some of the Focals and JL's at a local shop and thought the K2P's sounded phenomenal.

A different local dealer/installer told me the following when I mentioned the K2P's to him (he doesn't sell them):
Their nice (focal) I would run from RF components, very harsh!

As for "melting" considering 2 of the sets were installed in California I doubt they will warp or melt.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 90 and 15 GMC Sierra
90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute

Having sold Focal years ago, we did get the odd mid in that had some heat isuse, but it was rare. and took a couple years. for the most part they are a nice sounding speaker, one of my favorites.
As for RF being harsh, i run them, T3's and don't find them harsh at all, but i am bi-amping them so i can play with setting a lot. either brand would make you happy, and an amp is definately recommended, for both.
90 ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

jcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to alljcosta79 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
If you do not care about the warranty, you can buy from amazon or woofersetc or even ebay.
Why would buying from Amazon affect your warranty?
2012 PW NISMO #0559 - GT Spec Brace Kit - Swift Springs - ARK TP & Invidia CBE K&N Intake - UpRev Tune - 15mm Z1 Spacers & Studs - StopTech Slotted Rotors & SS Lines - ZSpeed CMAK with Stage 2 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z06
w0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcosta79 View Post
Why would buying from Amazon affect your warranty?
They will only honor the warranty if you buy from an authorized dealer. Amazon is not.

| SOLD September 14th, 2013 | My Build Journal
w0rM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rM View Post
They will only honor the warranty if you buy from an authorized dealer. Amazon is not.
It says it has a 1 year warranty. Liars!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z06
w0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond repute

I know... It's pretty lame if you ask me. It's hard for me to imagine why a company wouldn't want to stand behind a high quality product like Focal.

| SOLD September 14th, 2013 | My Build Journal
w0rM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 90 and 15 GMC Sierra
90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It says it has a 1 year warranty. Liars!
which is why it's cheaper...buying on line has many draw backs.
90 ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

I have bough unauthorized and had no problems, however if you are worried about the warranty you should buy from an authorized dealer and make sure you get the warranty car in your package.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
I have bough unauthorized and had no problems, however if you are worried about the warranty you should buy from an authorized dealer and make sure you get the warranty car in your package.
I have been an Amazon customer for probably close to 15 years now. Never had a problem with them. Any issues that do come up get resolved immediately.

I once got a bootleg Blu-Ray from one of their vendors that was selling on their site. I reported it to them. Not only did Amazon remove the vendor from their site within the hour, I got my money back AND I got a free Blu-Ray of the movie I originally ordered.

Now THAT's customer service.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Quote:
I have been an Amazon customer for probably close to 15 years now. Never had a problem with them. Any issues that do come up get resolved immediately.

I once got a bootleg Blu-Ray from one of their vendors that was selling on their site. I reported it to them. Not only did Amazon remove the vendor from their site within the hour, I got my money back AND I got a free Blu-Ray of the movie I originally ordered.

Now THAT's customer service.
I know what you mean.

OP just to let you know you can see some focal goodies in my build thread.

Big's build thread
Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: AVY 26"; 40th #211
speedygreene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speedygreene

thanks
speedygreene is offline   Reply With Quote