Nissan 370Z Forum  

Upgraded HU, which speakers?

I replaced my stock head unit (Bose, non-nav) with a JVC KW-NT800HDT, and now would like to upgrade the speakers. I'm thinking I'll keep the sub in the trunk (I

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 BMW 135i
nurseryboy is on a distinguished road
Default Upgraded HU, which speakers?

I replaced my stock head unit (Bose, non-nav) with a JVC KW-NT800HDT, and now would like to upgrade the speakers. I'm thinking I'll keep the sub in the trunk (I know it's crappy, but don't want to get into anything too crazy), but replace the speakers in the doors and rear. The JVC is rated at 50W x4 max, and 20 + 20W RMS x 4ch at 4 ohms and no more than 1% THD+N.

1. Since I'm not using the stock head unit any more, do I have to worry about using a LOC or whatever, or can I just hook up the new speakers?

2. What sizes would be best for the locations?

3. Any recommendations for speaker brand / model that would fit and work well with the JVC?

Thanks!
nurseryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

You are going to need a new amp to power your speakers if you have the bose system, OR you would need to bypass the bose amp and run new speaker wire directly from the head units speaker outputs to your new speakers.

Please search for speakers, as there're plenty of threads asking what to get and what size.

Polk DB ar a good start

Focal polyglass are another great component set. Your rears would still run off the bose amp however I recommend disabling both the rears and the crappy bose sub as your new speakers are going to produce more bass than that thing could.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member

So even the front, door, and rear speakers go through a factory Bose amp, that wasn't part of the Bose HU?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseryboy View Post
So even the front, door, and rear speakers go through a factory Bose amp, that wasn't part of the Bose HU?
Yes all speakers and subs go through the bose amp in the bose system. You have to bypass the amp and run your new speakers to your new head unit or to a new amp.

What to know about Bose
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/

Last edited by bigaudiofanat; 09-27-2012 at 03:26 PM.
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member

Totally missed that, thanks. Bummer!