Nissan 370Z Forum  

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a quality stereo

I've had my Z for about a month now, and I'm already growing tired of the base stock stereo and the interior volume. Wanted to get some input from people

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 10 Nssn 370Z Red M6
Gaston370Z is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready to pull the trigger on a quality stereo

I've had my Z for about a month now, and I'm already growing tired of the base stock stereo and the interior volume. Wanted to get some input from people that have used the products that Im interested in using. Plan is to sound deaden the interior with Second Skins Corvette package, which includes damplifier pro and luxury liner pro. Ill do the entire hatch area, the floor, and roof also. As far as components Im looking at:
Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS single din headunit
ALPINE PDX-V9 5 CHANNEL amp
Ctx65cs - Image Dynamics 6.5" Component Speakers
IDMAX 10D2 V.3 Image Dynamics 10" sub with Z enclosures rear firing box made to ID sub volume rec.

I would like recommendations as to what speaker wire and RCA's, and single din dash kit to use also.Thanks
Gaston370Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Sounds like a good setup, that head unit is going to have a lot more features than what you will be using, if you want to go cheaper.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member

I'm by no means an expert on audio tuning, but I enjoy having tons of options and like the fact that it has an auto EQ to get me started. I have been a violinist since I was very young so realistic sound is what I'm aiming for, but I also like rock and death metal. What speaker wires and RCA's do you recommend and what single din dash kit fits nicely?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston370Z View Post
I'm by no means an expert on audio tuning, but I enjoy having tons of options and like the fact that it has an auto EQ to get me started. I have been a violinist since I was very young so realistic sound is what I'm aiming for, but I also like rock and death metal. What speaker wires and RCA's do you recommend and what single din dash kit fits nicely?
Knu Koncepts, kicker, or stinger are all great choices for speaker wire and rca's
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 Sport M6
Telephone is on a distinguished road

Why single Din if you don't mind me asking? That unit seems overkill and I think it will look tacky in the Z's double din space. You already have a cubby above the stereo. Surely you can find a cheaper double din that will not only get the job done but will look factory/classy too. I never really was a DD fan until I got my Z.

Props to you for sound deadening, but the Z will always be noisey. Anyways, sounds like a good project and a good quality system. Keep us posted and post pics.
Telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone View Post
Why single Din if you don't mind me asking? That unit seems overkill and I think it will look tacky in the Z's double din space. You already have a cubby above the stereo. Surely you can find a cheaper double din that will not only get the job done but will look factory/classy too. I never really was a DD fan until I got my Z.

Props to you for sound deadening, but the Z will always be noisey. Anyways, sounds like a good project and a good quality system. Keep us posted and post pics.
Sound deadening will improve your speakers SQ even though you may still hear outside noise... Single din's also have an SQ advantage price to sound quality.
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
Sound deadening will improve your speakers SQ even though you may still hear outside noise... Single din's also have an SQ advantage price to sound quality.
Yep beat me to it.

Some are higher quality than others but all SQ head units are single din.... except a very few double dins.

Last edited by bigaudiofanat; 09-14-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Base Member

I might look at the DEH 80PRS also. Im looking for SQ and would like to integrate a few gauges under the HU like in my 300ZX. It would be nice to have an oil pressure and accurate water temp gauge with out mounting it on the pillar. I dont watch movies in my car nor really have a need for NAV.

Last edited by Gaston370Z; 09-15-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston370Z View Post
I might look at the P88RS also. Im looking for SQ and would like to integrate a few gauges under the HU like in my 300ZX. It would be nice to have an oil pressure and accurate water temp gauge with out mounting it on the pillar. I dont watch movies in my car nor really have a need for NAV.
You could also go with a double din unit and run something like a MS8 or bitone to get your pre out sound quality up.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Base Member

I did some pre sound deadening decibel measurements. The only mods on this car is a Megan Racing Cat back exhaust. Warm idle, windows up, AC and radio off = 60-61 db. 4th gear 30mph (AF base speed limit) 81-82 db. 6th gear 70mph 88-89db. Part throttle shoots it up past 100 db. Ill get some readings after I install the Second Skin deadening. I noticed in a Motor Trend article that the ZR1, 458 italia, and the new Mclaren we way quieter then my Z. The highest reading at 70mph was 78 db. The lowest reading at idle was 52 db. I want a single din since its less distracting, and I want to get CFE to create something similar to this, just prettier ...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370z
370zGatorman is on a distinguished road

I just finished my sound quality install today so here's my recommendations. I love alpine so keep that in mind.

I'll post pics in a thread soon of the install but here's what I have now:

Alpine INA-W900BT double din head unit (added the kit that allows steering wheel control for volume, etc)
Hertz MLK2 components up front (don't use rear speakers as they're not needed ever in my opinion)
1 JL 300/2 to right side, 1 JL 300/2 to left side, 1 JL 250/1 to the sub
Dayton Reference HO 10" sub (awesome sound quality sub for only around $140.00 at parts express).

Speaker cable used: KnuConceptz 12 gauge oxygen free wire
KnuConceptz RCA Cables (very good and cheap too)
Custom ported 10" sub box. Or if you want a prefab box Zenclosures sells them on ebay.
Doors tripled layered sound deadened with Stinger Road Kill Extreme.
Tweets custom mounted in the A-Pillars (best tweeter sound I've ever heard from this position)

This is my current setup and the best sounds system I've had after being in car audio for 25 years. Good luck!

p.s. just now saw you already had some equipment. Anyway, definitely get the sound deadening in the doors and the KnuConceptz wires are good for cheap prices. I'm also getting the Bit1 processer soon for sound tuning which makes a considerable difference in sound.

Last edited by 370zGatorman; 09-16-2012 at 12:30 AM.
370zGatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Base Member

Ordered some stuff today
Pioneer DEH-80PRS single din head unit
Ctx65cs - Image Dynamics 6.5" Component Speakers
IDMAX 10D4 V.3 Image Dynamics 10" Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil subwoofer
ALPINE PDX-V9 5 CHANNEL Amp
Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge amp wiring kit with twisted RCA's
Rockford Fosgate 12 gauge speaker wire
Second Skin Audio Corvette sound deadening package
Second Skin Audio door speaker baffle kit
I plan on building my own box for the sub. The Corvette package comes with 80 Sq Ft of damplifier pro and 45 square feet of luxury liner pro. I think the damplifier pro should be enough to cover the hatch area, floors, doors, and roof. Im not sure how much the Luxury liner pro will cover. What are the major areas I should apply the luxury liner?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Base Member

Started installing the Damplifier Pro. My Z has 2 rear trunk mats, so I glued the Luxury liner Pro to the bottom of the lower trunk mat. This way Ill be able to pull some of it out for track days and save some of the weight I added by doing this. I still have the hatch, behind the seats, the floor boards, doors, and roof to do. This is really time consuming.

My little man inspecting the progress