Nissan 370Z Forum  

Good or Bad,Stock speaker plastic remove??

Hey guys, i just installed polk audio speakers to my Z, while i was messing around, i noticed that the speakers sound better when u dont put the door pannel

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: nissan 370z
wildstrykex is on a distinguished road
Default Good or Bad,Stock speaker plastic remove??

Hey guys, i just installed polk audio speakers to my Z, while i was messing around, i noticed that the speakers sound better when u dont put the door pannel back on. When i put the door panel on, it doesnt sound as clear, i was wonder if its because of the door speaker cover blocking the sound of the speakers.. Any opinion??
wildstrykex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Drives: '09 370 & ‘14 Juke
TreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It blocks the sound somewhat. Basic physics tells you that.
It would look kinda stupid without them.
Borla S-Type | Motordyne | Z1 (lots) | South Bend | K&N | Nismo/Nismo S-Tune | Eibach | Aerojacket | Fujimara | Spl | ZSpeed Performance | Kenwood-Infinity-Sound Ordnance | Whiteline | Ecutek | Hotchkis | Clazzio | VQ Vortex |Morimoto XB |Dynosty Tune 329.64hp 265.73 ft/lb
TreeSemdyZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member

oh, i guess i wasn't tripping... Any1 run their speakers w/o the cover? any thoughts??
Another question i have, when installing the polk audio, i had to cut the stock speakers harness, and then install the new speakers. The stock wire is small, but since im not running an amp for it, i dont need to rewire it with thicker wires. The problem i have is that, when i dip the +,- wires through the polk audio tiny hole, i kinda just twisted the wires and i feel like i lose the quality of the sounds.. If i was to buy a connectors, how much improve sound will i get? Whats the best way to do it?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

If your going too go through the trouble of exposing the speakers, you should upgrade to something like hertz or focal.

Yes it is going to sound different, however your talking about cutting out the plastic grill, fabricating and building a new speaker bracket out towards the surface of the door. Fiberglassing, bondo, sanding, prepping, painting, and finishing it. Than you will have to do heavy dynamating behind your new enclosure. It is a lot of work to make it look right.

Your alternative is to install them in your kick panels in the floor, however your going to still have to build an enclosure.

If you only twisted those wires on, get at least crimp connectors from your local auto part store and crimp them to the bare wire. You should run new speaker wire and bypass the stock.

Another option is just get better speakers and run them in the factory location, however you will probably want an amp to do that. You can spend a lot of money not just on equipment but how and where it is installed.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
37Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z MB 6M -sold
37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Door Panel speaker sound

Tip:

I drilled out the speaker cover holes that are not opened to improve the sound. This helps the sound to come through the stock speaker covers somewhat. Also, adding a baffle in the door behind the speaker aids in the sound quality of the 6.5" speaker.

Cost is minimal for better sound!
37Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Base Member

thanks for the replies. i appreciate it. I went to Radio Shack to get a few connectors, however i cant make it tight to be stable. i will probably just tape the connectors to make it tight.