Nissan 370Z Forum  

What are these things?? Paint issues

Washed and waxed my car last week and didn't notice this. Drove my car yesterday and didn't notice it. The car was parked in my backyard outside over night and

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 G41 B/S M6
enkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation What are these things?? Paint issues

Washed and waxed my car last week and didn't notice this. Drove my car yesterday and didn't notice it. The car was parked in my backyard outside over night and as I pull my car inside the garage today in the morning, I notice these spots.

What is this?? I tried using Quick Detailer on it and it didn't remove them. Any suggestions as to what to do? It's all over my fender starting from about 12 o clock all the way down towards the side skirts.

Help! and thanks in advance!

car: 2012 Black, 780 miles.
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2012 370Z TRNG SPRT
FairladyZ is on a distinguished road

Man that looks like your clear coat is flaking, as if something ate through it.

Try a clay bar and see.
FairladyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z06
w0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond reputew0rM has a reputation beyond repute

Damn! That doesn't look good. Looks like damage to the clear coat to me too. Did anything sit on your paint for a while before you washed it?

| SOLD September 14th, 2013 | My Build Journal
w0rM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

enkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond reputeenkei2k has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help. I was worried it was the clearcoat issues. I will get clay bar and see if it helps. Unfortunately when I went to pick up cleaning supplies yesterday that was the only thing I didn't get

To my knowledge no, nothing major was sitting on it that I know of. The only thing it COULD have been was the wax (Meguiar's NXT) as I did notice I missed a few spots this morning. The car was waxed last week and maybe I didn't completely wipe down the entire car, but I usually do a complete walkthough of my car first before driving off. Very strange that I missed this completely.

Is something like this under warranty? Or am I SOL? Thanks for the help again.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '15 NISMO 6MT
Davey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond reputeDavey has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of hard to tell but it looks like fisheyes to me, which would be contamination under the clear (like oil) that caused it to come loose.

Best you can do is have the dealer look at it, or a paint guy you trust.

Where is it on the car?
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Everything
LakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before.
LakeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2 feet, 3 pedals
RonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to tell from the pic. Does it seem like it is on top of the clear, or in it?
Hard to believe its a paint fail, I would think you would have noticed it previously.
I have a crazy idea what it may be. Was the car parked near an area that has mulch in it??
P99rs Head Unit--- Amps- 2 Pioneer Prs800d --- Zapco ST1000MX---Zapco ST-4XSQ---- SI BM mk5 Subs---SI TM65v2 Midbass--- SI M3 mids--- SI M25 xbl2 tweeters ----- 2016 MECA street class 3rd place at world finals
RonRizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Kind of hard to tell but it looks like fisheyes to me, which would be contamination under the clear (like oil) that caused it to come loose.

Best you can do is have the dealer look at it, or a paint guy you trust.

Where is it on the car?
It is located by the passenger rear fender, all around from the very top, all the way down to the side skirt. I'll contact the dealership where I got the car from (Joe @ Koeppel) and see what he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShow View Post
Wow, I've never seen anything like that before.
Me either, that's why I'm worried about it. I know that the Z has thin paint, but never heard about this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
Hard to tell from the pic. Does it seem like it is on top of the clear, or in it?
Hard to believe its a paint fail, I would think you would have noticed it previously.
I have a crazy idea what it may be. Was the car parked near an area that has mulch in it??
It looks like it's the clear coming off to be honest, it feels bumpy. Actually, yes. I park in front of an area that has mulch. But there's a fence that separates my parking space and the mulch. What can it be? Don't tell me it's bugs eating at my paint...lol

Last edited by enkei2k; 08-26-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

RonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond reputeRonRizz has a reputation beyond repute

There is a fungus that grows in mulch, or any rotting wood source, called "artillery" or "shotgun" fungus. When the spores are full, they actually shoot up into the air, and they stick to anything they can find like friggin crazy glue. It is incredibly hard to remove, as well. The "shot" are tiny little black dots, the size of a pinhead, some larger. I have seen it on houses 10ft high or more.
Obviously, like a shotgun spread, the closer you are to the barrel, the smaller the pattern.
I have heard the best thing to remove it from a car is vinegar, although I cant confirm that. I would think a clay bar would do it.
P99rs Head Unit--- Amps- 2 Pioneer Prs800d --- Zapco ST1000MX---Zapco ST-4XSQ---- SI BM mk5 Subs---SI TM65v2 Midbass--- SI M3 mids--- SI M25 xbl2 tweeters ----- 2016 MECA street class 3rd place at world finals
Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback Ron. I'll run to AutoZone and pick up some clay bar tomorrow and get on it. If it doesn't work, then I'm going to have to assume it's clear coat peeling issues.

- what's weird is that my car was parked there overnight only. It's strange that only my car got 'hit' if your theory is correct. My parents' minivan is parked there almost M-F every week with no issues. And also, why would it only be on the passenger rear fender? If it does shoot up like you say, wouldn't it hit my roof, trunk or rear bumper first? Seems strange that it would only be on the fender.

I've taken a pic of the parking spot and also the supposed mulch if this is what you think it is. The thing is, I don't usually park as close to the back as possible. I usually leave about 3-4 feet of space.

Last edited by enkei2k; 08-26-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

from the pics you posted, prolly not your likely suspect. I would think you were to far away to get such a tight grouping. The stuff doesn't just spray straight up, though....... The spores grow facing in every direction, so it would shoot at different angles as well.
I doubt thats what it was though, seeing those pics, but you never know. Best bet is your claybar. Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: '12 370Z
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute

That's CC failure. If it's only on certain panels, find out if your car was touched up when it was at the port or arrived at the dealer.

Whether it was like that from the factory, or touched up, definitely a warranty issue.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 - Nissan 370 M6
robones is on a distinguished road

Yeah just stop messing with it, leave it alone and take it to the dealer. That's why you have the warranty for. If you start doing things to it, the dealer may blame you at the end and not do a damn thing. Feel assured that at least you have warranty and they will fix it.
robones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRizz View Post
from the pics you posted, prolly not your likely suspect. I would think you were to far away to get such a tight grouping. The stuff doesn't just spray straight up, though....... The spores grow facing in every direction, so it would shoot at different angles as well.
I doubt thats what it was though, seeing those pics, but you never know. Best bet is your claybar. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks for letting me know. It's never happened to any other car that's parked there so I doubt it also. Thank you for the idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
That's CC failure. If it's only on certain panels, find out if your car was touched up when it was at the port or arrived at the dealer.

Whether it was like that from the factory, or touched up, definitely a warranty issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robones View Post
Yeah just stop messing with it, leave it alone and take it to the dealer. That's why you have the warranty for. If you start doing things to it, the dealer may blame you at the end and not do a damn thing. Feel assured that at least you have warranty and they will fix it.
I'm definitely not going to do anything else to it until I hear back from Joe. Hopefully he can help fix this. You're right, that's what warranties are for and that's why I got this car. So I don't have to worry (much) about car issues that aren't my fault.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Well, here's an update for you all...I decided to just go get some clay bar, since some of you mentioned it and also because some of my friends mentioned it also. One of my friends mentioned that it is possible that it's WHEEL/TIRE CLEANER and that I didn't properly clean off the excess when I washed/waxed my car last week. So a few minutes after claying the section, it's all gone!! Thank goodness, I thought it would not have been able to get out because it was there for over a week from washing to getting it off tonight!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions and I'm glad I don't have to take it to the dealer to have it checked out. Totally my fault for not knowing how harmful tire/wheel cleaner is to the paint.

Lesson learned.