Nissan 370Z Forum  

Dealer says No Clear Coat On My Car - Is this true?

Hi all, waiting to take delivery of my new Z. Dealership said they applied a fresh coat of clear coat on the paint. Why would they have to do this?

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: Brilliant Silver 6MT
TropicZ is on a distinguished road
Default Dealer says No Clear Coat On My Car - Is this true?

Hi all, waiting to take delivery of my new Z. Dealership said they applied a fresh coat of clear coat on the paint. Why would they have to do this? I always thought the cars get their clear coat after painting in the factory.

I got to see the pre-delivery state of my car last week and it was covered with some sort of sticky substance that had attracted a layer of dust. Also, there were pieces of white film covering some vulnerable areas. It has sat in this state in a warehouse for a year since it was shipped here.
TropicZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Drives: '09 370 & ‘14 Juke
TreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why the dealer would add clear coat. They come from the factory with clear.
The white film is standard. Look at a new car transport truck the next time you see one on the road.
TreeSemdyZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: '12 370Z
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute

They're full of it. They may slap a quick coat of wax on a car, but they're not going to spray it. Don't let them try to charge you for it.

The sticky residue is from the protective wrap - usually it's just around the edges, but if it's been on there for too long it could be everywhere. A good bug & tar remover will take it off - just be sure to use a microfiber towel and wipe gently-don't scrub-the residue could have particles embedded in it.

After you get all the dust / sticky residue off, you'll probably need to clay it - especially if it's been sitting in an industrial area / warehouse.

Personally, I don't let the dealer prep my car. They can take all the plastic off for inspection, but that's it. You never know what their 'detailer' is going to do. I've seen dealers scrape wrap residue off with a plastic razor blade and leave scratches all over the car. Or hit it with an orbital to take it off - nothing better than swirled paint straight from the dealer's lot!
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Prototype
God-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond reputeGod-Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
They're full of it. They may slap a quick coat of wax on a car, but they're not going to spray it. Don't let them try to charge you for it.

The sticky residue is from the protective wrap - usually it's just around the edges, but if it's been on there for too long it could be everywhere. A good bug & tar remover will take it off - just be sure to use a microfiber towel and wipe gently-don't scrub-the residue could have particles embedded in it.

After you get all the dust / sticky residue off, you'll probably need to clay it - especially if it's been sitting in an industrial area / warehouse.

Personally, I don't let the dealer prep my car. They can take all the plastic off for inspection, but that's it. You never know what their 'detailer' is going to do. I've seen dealers scrape wrap residue off with a plastic razor blade and leave scratches all over the car. Or hit it with an orbital to take it off - nothing better than swirled paint straight from the dealer's lot!

Just take your time and do a good walk around the car before you sign!!!
God-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N54 135i
cheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like they put on some kind of anti-rust sealant or something. Don't pay for it if you didn't ask for it.
cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Z Coupe M6 SPT
red6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the rough

Make sure the car was not in some kind of accident, I have heard horror stories of people finding out there brand new car was involved in some kind of incident while shipping or something.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z CY M6
USMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really nice

just an fyi, factory paint is a single stage paint. there isn't an actual "clear coat" as this would imply a basecoat, color coat, and finally a clear coat. the factory paint is paper thin single stage over a basecoat or "sealer". this is a more cost efficient way of spraying cars in a factory rather than the 3 step process.
USMCASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Track Member

scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCASA View Post
just an fyi, factory paint is a single stage paint. there isn't an actual "clear coat" as this would imply a basecoat, color coat, and finally a clear coat. the factory paint is paper thin single stage over a basecoat or "sealer". this is a more cost efficient way of spraying cars in a factory rather than the 3 step process.
Are you sure? I've never heard of a modern car being a mixed color / clear. I've polished a few Nissans and I can say 100% they were color / cleared - my pad didn't turn the paint color.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z CY M6
USMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
Are you sure? I've never heard of a modern car being a mixed color / clear. I've polished a few Nissans and I can say 100% they were color / cleared - my pad didn't turn the paint color.
i am 100% sure. i used to work at a body shop

be VERY careful if you polish the factory paint as it takes away from the surface and can alter the color if it wears too thin

as for the no color on your pad, there is a difference in the type/quality of single stage they use. sherwin williams has a new single stage that looks so perfect that you would be hard pressed to find the difference in them.

Last edited by USMCASA; 11-02-2011 at 10:14 AM.
USMCASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Track Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCASA View Post
i am 100% sure. i used to work at a body shop

be VERY careful if you polish the factory paint as it takes away from the surface and can alter the color if it wears too thin

as for the no color on your pad, there is a difference in the type/quality of single stage they use. sherwin williams has a new single stage that looks so perfect that you would be hard pressed to find the difference in them.
Just went out and tested my Mom's Maxima - it has a CC. Are you saying that Nissan paints 370Z's different from all their other cars? I've been detailing for 20+ years and though I've never done a 370Z, I've never seen a car newer than the last decade that was SS / no CC (even repaints are cleared nowadays). If you're not getting color on your pad - it's cleared. If you get color, it's SS. Pretty easy to tell.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

there's clear coat on my Z...
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Z Coupe M6 SPT
red6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the rough

I dont know much about painting cars so thats what I kept my mouth shut... But I'm pretty sure all Nissan products have at least one coat of CC.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 8====D
Rui Z has a spectacular aura aboutRui Z has a spectacular aura about

There is clear coat on the Z. It's just that the clear coat is softer and thinner than alot of other car brands.

Are you sure the dealer installed clear coat and not clear bra?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 8====D
Rui Z has a spectacular aura aboutRui Z has a spectacular aura about

Alot of dealerships install clear bra right away.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: BSM 370
TypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TypeOne

Wait... is clearcoat an option??
TypeOne is offline   Reply With Quote