Nissan 370Z Forum  

question on bluetooth usb placement

they say there's never a dumb question so here goes..... on my jvc unit i have two usb ports one in the front and one in the rear of the

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sports PGK
sonic370 will become famous soon enoughsonic370 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to sonic370
Default question on bluetooth usb placement

they say there's never a dumb question so here goes.....
on my jvc unit i have two usb ports one in the front and one in the rear of the unit. the unit came with a usb plug for the telephone which the installer
plugged in the back.. would i get better reception if moved it to the front.
so it would have a clear signal to my phone... i hear incoming calls good.
but out going not so great.... sorry to ramble this is driving me nuts.
sonic370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: C300 - 6spd
crash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond repute

huh? what unit?
"At no point during your rambling, incoherent response did you ever come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul."
crash1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Blue 6spd
jikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond repute

What's the model # of that JVC? I seriously doubt it is any specific USB plug for your phone...it should be basically a rear USB which the box came with a USB extention cable to run from the back of the unit to the cabin of your car so you can plug in your phone, mp3 players, etc.
jikhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Drives: '09 370 & ‘14 Juke
TreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Bluetooth and USB are two different animals.

If you're using USB, you don't need Bluetooth. If you're using Bluetooth, you don't need USB.

Placement of a USB cable doesn't affect reception at all, it's a hard connection to the HU.
TreeSemdyZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2012 Traverse LTZ
Lemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about radios but what it seems like he is describing is a Bluetooth antenna. If that is true then I would want to run an extension cable to the back and place the antenna in a different place for better reception.

2010 Black Cherry Touring/Sport/Nav Now - 2012 Travese LTZ until I leave for Turkey
Lemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Thanks Lemers that's what i meant. I guess my jvc unit kw-xr810
came with a bluetooth antenna. Which is not very big at all and it is made to
plug into one of the usb ports. there's one in the front and one in the rear of the unit. so i would improve reception by plugging it in the front usb port??? i had been using the front to plug my iphone into for charging and playing music.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z
CBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond reputeCBRich has a reputation beyond repute

The antenna would have to be pretty weak for the five or six inch depth of your radio to matter too much. You can give it a shot but I would think it wouldn't make too much difference.
CBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Blue 6spd
jikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond reputejikhead has a reputation beyond repute

I checked your receivers manual. The USB Bluetooth adapater that is in the picture looks no different from a micro Bluetooth you would plug into your laptop. The manual states you can plug it into either the front or rear USB connection. Different Bluetooth devices have different ranges and I don't know the range of yours. But since your manual states you can use either front or rear, it's not going to make a difference which one you use...it's up to you. Will the front USB make it more clear? I doubt it, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out and see....then let us know.
jikhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2012 Traverse LTZ
Lemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond reputeLemers has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a waste to put it the front USB. Get find a USB extension cable, one that has a male on one end a female on the other. This would let you run the antenna you the driver side of the dash and be closer to you, while allowing the USB to be used for thumb drives or for a charge cable for your phone.

2010 Black Cherry Touring/Sport/Nav Now - 2012 Travese LTZ until I leave for Turkey
Lemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

That for the good advice guys. i will try both and let you know the results.