Nissan 370Z Forum  

Diy paint door handles

Saw the removal of the door handles. whats a solution or a link to an easy way to spray the door handles with krylon, duplicolor etc. looking for a project

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
ddvette9 is on a distinguished road
Default Diy paint door handles

Saw the removal of the door handles. whats a solution or a link to an easy way to spray the door handles with krylon, duplicolor etc. looking for a project for tomorrow on my day off. do i need primer, sand them down etc, let me know. I have the DIY for the removal but not for the painting of them black
ddvette9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Drives: 🔰
Trips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond repute

I've used dupli color universal black? Which is matte. The shade was what I was looking for. I primed the handles and inserted a pin to hold them open while the inside was painted.

http://www.the370z.com/payments.php
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
js1
Track Member

Drives: 2009 Nissan 370z
js1 is on a distinguished road

do you have to primer the handles first or can you use krylon fusion paint and then krylon fusion clear coat? how many coats of each do you have to use
js1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Drives: 🔰
Trips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond repute

I put two coats of the krylon fusion matte paint, and have not had any issues afters months of use. the dup color matte is a thinner base paint, and will flake if you don't put enough coats and seal it with a non gloss clear. if a matte finish is what you're after? if a bit more shine is what you're after the krylon fussion matte black would work since it has a little shine to it.

http://www.the370z.com/payments.php
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z MB
onefastz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if it really mattered, but I sanded my door handles with 320 grit sandpaper, if I remember right. It very lightly roughed the surface up. Then I sprayed a coat of primer on and let it dry, and then 3-4 coats of the paint. Turned out great!
onefastz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

dang...320... next time use the cement why dont cha? hahaha.

i use 400 to strip old paints but more like 800+ for surface prep.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z MB
onefastz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
dang...320... next time use the cement why dont cha? hahaha.

i use 400 to strip old paints but more like 800+ for surface prep.

Haha, you're right. I just went and looked for the sandpaper I used and that's what I used too. Thanks for correcting me!
onefastz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z CS M6
TipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond repute

Yo Dallas ... if you are going to be doing this to your handles you need to stop by my place and do the same to mine!! LOL
Dynojet 285 HP/245 TQ (pre CBE)// Agency Power CBE // GTM Test Pipes // JWT Pop Chargers // B&M Short Shifter // Eibach Springs // Powder-coated Akebono's // Powder-coated Strut Bar // Black Chromed 19" Rays // // Redline Designs Graphics
TipsZ journal
TipsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

I tried doing this, it did not turn out so well lol Now I need new handles hahaha. FML

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote