Nissan 370Z Forum  

Completed Dynamat Extreme install, my thoughts.

Hi, I just finished the installation of Dynamat Extreme in the doors and in the hatch area and I wanted to share my thoughts with those of you who might

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guard Dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Silver A7
Guard Dad will become famous soon enough
Default Completed Dynamat Extreme install, my thoughts.

Hi, I just finished the installation of Dynamat Extreme in the doors and in the hatch area and I wanted to share my thoughts with those of you who might be wondering if it is worth the trouble.

For me it was definitely worth the effort. It is a significant, though not dramatic, improvement. The general sound level is noticeably reduced, but more importantly to me, the nature of the sound that remains is not as abrasive as it was when stock. Stock, you REALLY could hear EVERY change in the pavement and every bit of sand that hit the chassis. It is in this area that the improvement is most significant, these sounds remain but the rough edges, so to speak, have been removed. Conversation is much easier and the audio system sounds better too. The center of noise has shifted forward, I hear road noise from the front of the car that previously went unnoticed because of the din from the behind the seats. If your car is a track animal maybe you don't want to carry the additional 20 or so pounds and that's fine, but if you are into upgraded audio equipment or plan to take long trips or have a tough commute I think you will find this worth the trouble.

Installation notes:

When you remove the rubber seal around the hatch be sure you mark it to maintain the proper orientation for later reinstall.

It, has been noted by others before, but use a beach towel or soft blanket to protect the bodywork from scratches.

Make sure that belt buckles, rings, watches or buttons are not in position to scratch the paint as you work in and around the car.

Buy the installation roller, the cheap one is probably just fine. Dynamat MUST be in hard contact (seriously if you don't get rid of the skips and bubbles don't even bother with this mod) with the body to be effective, the roller makes the tiresome task of pressing the the Dynamat into EVERY up and down of the bodywork a little less of a chore.

In addition to the Dynamat, I lined the floor of the hatch area with some short pile (3/16" to 1/4") dark gray commercial carpet (Lowe's or Home Depot) that I had left over from another project. This was installed on the chicken soup principle: It couldn't hurt!

I also put 1" polyester fiber batting (used mostly for upholstery or quilting, it's sold at fabric stores, two yards @ $6 per yard is plenty, and get a can of spray adhesive to mount it) on the back sides of the side and rear plastic trim panels. Be sure to give adequate clearance to mounting clips and the hatch light. More chicken soup.

And the last item from the soup aisle: I took some of the leftover batting and stuffed it in any nooks and crannies that I could find. Be sure not to crowd heat sources like amps and don't block the extractor air vents in the corners of the inner rear fenders. Note: Don't put the batting in doors or areas where it might get wet, it will slow the drying process and that could lead to rust.

Hope this is a help to some of you.
hrtbrknprince likes this.
Guard Dad is offline   Reply With Quote