Nissan 370Z Forum  

VIN number on front bumper??

Hey guys, my current stock bumper has a few nicks and scratches in it so I was thinking about swapping for a new one. My question is, why is the

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 2008 350z
resdm50 is on a distinguished road
Default VIN number on front bumper??

Hey guys, my current stock bumper has a few nicks and scratches in it so I was thinking about swapping for a new one. My question is, why is the VIN number for the car on the top of the bumper? I was going to buy a bumper from someone else on the board, but I'm not sure I want a random VIN on my new bumper. Can it be swapped off for mine/has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks
resdm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 2007 335i, 2009 370Z
rsximus is on a distinguished road

If you notice you have a VIN sticker on every panel of your car. The idea is to be an theft deterrent, plus it's good to have for potential buyers when you sell your car. When I go look at used cars, that's the first thing I look for is all matching vins on all panels, you'll know the car has never been in an accident that warrants a replacement of that panel.

I wouldn't trade if I were you, it's good to have all matching vin numbers on all your body panels.
rsximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member

I guess I can understand the theft deterrent side of it, but it basically prevents you from legitimately replacing your bumper seamlessly as well. I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts about this since so many members have swapped/replaced bumpers.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdm50 View Post
I guess I can understand the theft deterrent side of it, but it basically prevents you from legitimately replacing your bumper seamlessly as well. I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts about this since so many members have swapped/replaced bumpers.
Not necessarily a problem... My Body shop(who is very good) transferred the VIN stickers and you'd never know parts were changed out...

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Not necessarily a problem... My Body shop(who is very good) transferred the VIN stickers and you'd never know parts were changed out...
Hmm, I'm guessing they just glued it on to the new bumper then? I'm wondering if I could just order a new vin sticker from nissan? Assuming I provide proof of ownership.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2014 Porsche Boxster
elmz is on a distinguished road

This was one of the first things I noticed when I first got it. My 05 350 was not like this, it was only on the driver side door jam. It will make it easier to spot if the vehicle has been in an accident of some kind. My 05 was sold as a clean title to the dealer because the Carfax was clean, but it really wasn't.
elmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z Base w/Sport
blinkme323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmz View Post
This was one of the first things I noticed when I first got it. My 05 350 was not like this, it was only on the driver side door jam. It will make it easier to spot if the vehicle has been in an accident of some kind. My 05 was sold as a clean title to the dealer because the Carfax was clean, but it really wasn't.
I'm not sure I even understand it as
a theft deterrent, I mean how many people are
going to have the stock bumper stolen? (the nismo I can see).

Maybe talk to your dealership, they might be able to order it.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Pure Sex
FuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond reputeFuszNissan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FuszNissan Send a message via Skype™ to FuszNissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
That's why we have paint meters.

ZDAYZ 2012
FuszNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
I'm not sure I even understand it as
a theft deterrent, I mean how many people are
going to have the stock bumper stolen? (the nismo I can see).

Maybe talk to your dealership, they might be able to order it.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't see why I couldn't order one, provided I supply proof of ownership.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 370 Base
Z-WHIZ is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm wrong, but when you order a new bumper from the factory you have to supply your VIN, so I'm assuming that a new bumper would come with the sticker. Again, I may be wrong, but it would make sense.
Z-WHIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 Touring w/Sport
OtaconZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-WHIZ View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but when you order a new bumper from the factory you have to supply your VIN, so I'm assuming that a new bumper would come with the sticker. Again, I may be wrong, but it would make sense.

I doubt you could order another one, but who knows.

I think the easiest fix would be removing it with a heat gun and re-applying it to the new bumper. Should be fairly easy for a skilled hand.
OtaconZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtaconZ View Post
I doubt you could order another one, but who knows.

I think the easiest fix would be removing it with a heat gun and re-applying it to the new bumper. Should be fairly easy for a skilled hand.
Heat gun, eh? Now we are talking. My only worry would be that I would ruin the surrounding paint with the heat gun. I guess you just have to keep it on a low heat?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z Base w/Sport
blinkme323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdm50 View Post
Heat gun, eh? Now we are talking. My only worry would be that I would ruin the surrounding paint with the heat gun. I guess you just have to keep it on a low heat?
Yeah, that might not be a bad idea. You just need to be careful.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-WHIZ View Post
You are naive.....Anyone can buy body parts..

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 09 6MT SP
ZYGOTE is on a distinguished road

If the dealer can't order you one, then it sounds like the heat gun might be your best option. It's funny, a ton of people have replaced/swapped their bumpers on here - I wonder if they know/care that they have a different VIN or no VIN at all on the front bumper now, lol.
ZYGOTE is offline   Reply With Quote