View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
FromG2Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 5.0, kona, 6MT
FromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_G View Post
I wrapped the stock knob with like 20 layers of duct tape, and used a pipe wrench to remove it. While the wife was in the car holding on to the shifter shaft with vice grips.

It was really hard to turn for most of the unscrewing.. that thing is on there super tight sometimes. It was a pain in the arse.
Thanks for the great idea. I might try that. Duct tape should be tacky enough that it won't slip, and I need to use enough layers to not indent the shift knob.

As far as the shift assembly, you lifted the console up and used vice grips right? So I'm assuming you pulled the boot down to expose the shifter surface, but did you use anything between the vise grips and the shifter itself? I tried a rag, but am experiencing slippage there too
2012 5.0 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6MT, HID, Brembo, 3.73 -- Ordered: 9/20/11, Born on: 10/20/11, Delivered 11/15/11"Marilyn" GT500 mufflers/flaps, MGW shifter, FRPP K springs, BMR panhard bar, Boss coil covers, 3DC spoiler, Llumar Tint (35% and 20%), 3M ClearBra
FromG2Z is offline   Reply With Quote