View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Phimosis
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 911 4S
Phimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond repute
Default 19" Stock Rays wheels powdercoat project

I wanted to wait until I had the project finished to post this, but forum members were chomping at the bit to see what they would look like. I will continue to add pictures to this thread as I get them installed and get the center caps finished.

Car before:

Wheels after stripping, sandblasting and one coat of gloss black powdercoat:

Wheels after pinstriping (shot from iPhone):

I'll get better pictures with a real camera to show detail, but the pinstripe has a 2mm margin of black around all the edges before the contour changes. So, on the spoke face, there is a tiny rim of black around the orange before the edge of the flat part of the spoke falls off. Same with the lip of the wheel; tiny black stripe before the edge of the wheel. That detail makes it look extra sharp. The orange is a mix of VHT (very high temp) orange and a little yellow. It's more orange than the persimmon leather, but it looks good up against it. Hemi orange and safety orange clashed with the darker persimmon. We also tried this variation with a 5 mm stripe going down the high part of each spoke down to the hub, but the asymmetry of the wheel made it look unbalanced and we wiped it down before the paint dried.

The wheels are currently at the powdercoat shop for a clear coat. They're supposed to be finished this evening and I'll post pictures when they are done, then when I get the 305 width RE11's mounted up.

The cost was $435 (incl tax) at the powdercoater for stripping, sandblasting, powdercoating and clear coating. The cost at the pinstriper was $70 for all 4 wheels!

Cheers!

-Phim

Last edited by Phimosis; 06-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote