View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
cdawg410
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370z
cdawg410 will become famous soon enough

Listen.. My mother has told me for years, "do not ever buy a brand new car, especially the first year model". When I bought my 350z she accompanied me to the dealership and helped me negotiate. It was 2008, I bought a 2005 model with 20k miles on it. She thought the car was frivolous but understood my need for a toy as a hardworking civil servant. Well unfortunately, when I was purchasing the 350, I was unaware Nissan was getting set to release the 370 (typically I am on top of this stuff, I mean I consider myself a car freak but I just kinda missed on this one as I was still pretty enamored with my new ride) So anyway, I get wind of the 370... IN JANUARY, approx 11 months after I've purchased my 350 and I start getting the shakes. I start thinking about a car that is like mine but better in every way and I can't stand it. Long story short, as a civil servant I have every other Friday off, ( I work 9 hour days 8 days and then an 8 and then off). It's friday, my wife is at work, my mother is out of town and my dad, from 3000 miles away is like what the deuce are you waiting for. I go test drive a 2001 M3 with 29k on it and I love it. I got to Nissan because I want to compare it with the new Z and I don't leave until 6 hours later, car bought on a whim. Anywho, I have to break the news to my Mom cause thass what Mama's boys do. Initially she is like what is the difference, and begins to bash me for being a silly man. Two week later she sits in the car. The reaction from my 50+ year old mother was priceless. She was all, this car is sooo much more grown up and refined than you last vehicle. Mind you my 350 was a fully loaded touring and my 370 is a base with cloth. Oh my, push start she says. Look at the accents and contrast stitching she says, it looks like a blue shark in profile she says. I couldn't be prouder of my choice at this moment. My mom, the ultimate, " A car is merely transportation" kind of person admiring my new car. Then she asks, what year is it and how much did it cost... I told her to get out and I went home. I'm mean I'm not saying that at 29 yrs old, that I'm afraid of my mother but..... at 29 yrs old I'm afraid of my mother. I have recently told her that it is a new model year car......... I have yet to tell her what I paid.

Anyway, for my mother to have taken any notice, yet to articulate the improvement between this iteration and the last, is freegin HUGE!! This is a woman who can easily afford an SL500 (which she wants but won't buy on principle) but continues to drive her '00 Volvo S70 with 150k on it. Your stories of gawking might be great, but you'll never beat this one as far as I'm concerned. Mama's boys know what I'm talkin' bout.
cdawg410 is offline   Reply With Quote