View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #118 (permalink)
SVTNate
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z 6MT
SVTNate is on a distinguished road

I don't care what someone else chooses to do to their own car, but on my personal 370Z...

#1. I'll never do carbon fiber sticky parts. I think it's cheap and tacky to buy thin CF with sticky tape and slap it on your OEM parts. It doesn't make them more rigid, or lighter weight. I'd love carbon b-pillars, but so far all I've seen is cheap "overlay". It ain't right. It's like fake Louis Vuitton or a fake Rolex. Yeah it looks almost like the real thing, but it's a joke to anyone who knows the difference.

#2. Carbon fiber hatch/hood/etc. Weight savings are useless on a road car. Looks awful unless painted. When painted, it's not only useless, but fit/finish is never as good as stock.

#3. Slamming the car. Waste of a good sports car. Well thought out and properly adjusted coilovers/sways are fine (useless on a road car, but whatever), but just a set of cheap springs to drop the car is better left for Civics and other junk.

#4. Fairlady Z badges. Why? It's a 370Z. Keeping the factory badges is bad enough, they don't help the lines of the car at all. Removing them and paying money for new badges for a car you don't own? Ridiculous. It doesn't look good at all. Oh, yeah, JDM. Sorry, this is not J, this is A, and you have a 370Z. It's not cool. At all. Ever.

#5. Aluminum shift knobs. I've done this before and I'll never do it again. Stupid, stupid, stupid move. Even with a nice sun shade and window tint, they get far too hot in the summer. I learned my lesson, and kept mine stock on this car. I don't see this as a "ricer" mod, just something that sounds like a good idea but is actually a dumb move. Again, I've done it myself.

I wouldn't tear apart the OEM headlights to paint them/add LED lights and then glue them back together either, but I admit it often looks nice.

I wouldn't spend the money for carbon fiber rad support/battery cover/etc under the hood, but it does look nice and at least they are actually new parts and not just sticky tape crap.
SVTNate is offline   Reply With Quote