View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

I hear ya. I had a spin on the track that freaked me out. It still lingers in my mind during track days. But that spin was far less costly (no damage or issues whatsoever) than doing the same thing on a city street.

The safest place to start getting your confidence back is probably autoX. Aside from killing some cones, you're not going to damage anything. The track is probably second. The first few track sessions (and perhaps TRACK DAYS), just take it easy. Reacquaint yourself with the sensations. Then pick the safe parts of the track and start working through your fears and apprehensions. It wouldn't be so much fun if there wasn't a bit a thrill involved! Just take calculated risks.

I like to keep a sticker on my steering wheel that says "this is not a race". That way I don't start pushing to pass slower cars in passing zones or getting upset they're slowing me down in corners. It also keeps me slower in the 'dangerous' corners.