View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #120 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMJane_Again View Post
I actually find this whole thread quite interesting because I think there are three distinct possibilities for this "kid" (I put that in quotes for a reason, you'll see what I'm getting at in a moment) and "his" whole reason/motive for starting us down this frankly amusing yet untenable road.

1. The kid's actually telling the truth, but he has the cognitive capacity of a six-year old. He's desperately trying to gain approval from a group of individuals whom he will most likely never meet in person, and doesn't realize what a monumental simpleton he comes off sounding like. Supporting data for this hypothesis are his inability to form grammatically accurate sentences, his vague notions of becoming a surgeon (a desire that usually comes with more logical thought than "yeah, I'm gonna pay for my first year and then I'll magically get a scholarship for the rest of it"), and the ill-conceived attempt at impressing us with his family story and his brother's two remarkably similar high-priced cars. His flaunting of his father's- not his, his FATHER's, I cannot stress this distinction enough- points to him being in the "nouveau riche" class, which also makes his behavior understandable though definitely not pardonable. It's atrocious and more than a little bit sad that there are kids out there with a blatant disregard for how lucky they actually are to be in such excellent socio-economic standing, but it can and does happen.

2. The kid's a troll. He's bored and wants to mess with a group of people who takes their hobby relatively seriously. The problem with his trolling is his story unravelled quickly, with inconsistencies in family construct, ability to produce pictures of his brother's alleged vehicles, lying about the weather in his area, not knowing where his brother went to college, etc. This seems to be fairly likely as once the pathology of his lies were exposed, his written tone morphed from one of self-assured arrogance, to passive-aggressive insulting, to stalling, to pleading with us- specifically Arnold- to stop "investigating" his tale. Stringing us along, keeping the thread going as long as possible.

3. The kid is not a kid at all. Nor is he necessarily a "he." This whole thing could be a sociology experiment being conducted by a 20 year old female in college. This one sounds far-fetched, but it feels possible if not plausible. The lies were exposed a little too easily, the persona of the OP was set up as a jaded, young, wealthy, male teenager being given his choice of car by "daddy," all stereotypes picked to ensure a targeted, vitriolic response from a mostly male, vehicle enthusiast population, which we gave her. If that's the case, this was brilliant, and we've all been had.

So there it is. The OP is either 1. an idiot 2. a fraud or 3. a diabolical genius well on her way to an excellent career in psychiatry. In the end, I'm not sure which one I would hope it to end up being.

S.

Wow. You put a lot of thought into this.