View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #72 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fuel/Temp Gauge Face Modification

This is probably the most economical solution to modifying the fuel/temp gauge face.

The gauge face is painted clear plastic, so paint thinner is used to strip the paint from the plastic. The new overlay can be custom designed to order from Black Cat Custom. The back of the overlay has a 3M adhesive.

1. Follow the DIY procedure below to remove and disassemble the combination meter.
DIY: Interior LED Color Change

2. Mask the display window to prevent it from getting scratched and keep paint from away from it.

3. Use paint thinner to remove the amber markings. I messed up this process since I tried to use a dremel to strip the paint, and it melted the plastic. I had to use epoxy to fill it back up and sand it smooth.

4. Mask areas that does not need to be painted. The overlay will reveal some of the silver paint, so it is best to paint the display area first. Optionally, you can apply the overlay, mask it, and then paint it to prevent light leakage.

5. Here is a test of the overlay and masking tape removed.

6. Here is the finished product.

Installed Pictures:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (194.6 KB, 3252 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (185.8 KB, 2264 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (216.7 KB, 2496 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (151.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (131.5 KB, 2257 views)

Last edited by DIGItonium; 05-27-2015 at 10:04 AM.
DIGItonium is offline   Reply With Quote