View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #114 (permalink)
Jessobear
Base Member

Drives: '10 370Z Tour/Sp M6
Jessobear will become famous soon enough

My opinions on this are always wildly unpopular. I think that most of the aesthetic trends I've seen in the past few years have been absolutely horrible and exist not because they look good, but because someone felt the burning desire to be different (and then someone saw that and wanted to be "different" too, etc). Eventually this leads to a bunch of people with really poor taste deciding that some trend is hot and looks good. Here are some of my least favorites that I've seen done to this car:

- Painting your car flat/matte black. It's not "murdered out" now, it just looks like it's in primer. Congrats.
- Black wheels. Look at a picture of your car. At a glance it looks like someone jacked your wheels, or you have all spare tires on. Wheels are made of metal, why not have them look that way?
- "Landing strip" in the headlights. Just because it works on an Audi doesn't mean you should try and apply it to your car. This is like the new Altezza-style lights.
- Any HID except the factory 4300K. That purple you see on high end cars is just a narrow band at the edge of the light. Now your car just had purple headlights. Groovy baby!
- Overuse of carbon fiber, especially front lips and rear spoilers. Look at your car from the side. Do you see how the bottom of the car follows a nice line from the front to the back? When you put that CF front lip on there, it totally screws that up. CF works as an accent, not an entire piece of bodywork.
- Adding extra vents all over the place, like vented front fenders and non-functional vents in the rear bumper. Because extra vents = extra good, right? I feel like this is the kind of stuff I used to doodle in class when I was 10. Hey, why stop there?!? Why not take my other awesome ideas like rockets, machine guns and missile launchers?

The 350Z and 370Z have the problem in my mind of already looking about as good as they can look. They only need very subtle changed, like being lowered, possibly wheels, maybe a subtle lip, etc. Changing them drastically almost always makes them look worse. Unfortunately, if people didn't totally alter their cars, how would they be "unique"?
Jessobear is offline   Reply With Quote