View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Push370zzz
Track Member

Drives: cars
Push370zzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM View Post
You're still comparing a twin turbo 6 to an NA 6. Of course you'll make more power by upping the boost. But 340 whp on 13 psi Vs 320 whp on 0 psi (full bolt on Z) isn't saying much. BPU++ supras will make 450 whp on pump gas with similar boost and you dont need to upgrade fuel pumps, etc. I'm just saying, the 135 and 335 are nice cars and make a ton of power with a simple ecu flash but it's not exactly a marvel of engineering in terms of reliability with said upgrades. But if you upgrade the fuel pump, exhaust, and intercooler than you'll have a more reliable way of making close to 400 whp on the stock turbos.
I understand, but why are you comparing a full bolt on Z to just an ECU tune 35 motor? Full bolt ons on the Z cost around $3-4k...Stock for stock they are similar, but the Bimmer feels a hell of a lot faster in everyday driving because it is making closer to 300 lb ft of torque and not 240. With a full bolt on Z + tune vs a full bolt on 135i + tune, you are going to be looking at 325 hp and 270 tq (at wheels) versus 390 hp and 410 tq (at wheels). From owning and driving both, the BMW is a lot more fun to drive on the street. I am very excited to drive it on the track and see how it compares. I know it will not handle as well stock for stock, but I plan on getting coilovers for the BMW.

I LOVED my 370 a lot, and it was difficult deciding to sell it. It was a fast car, and handled very well. The main problem in my opinion with the car is that it is NA. It would take about $10k to make my 370z as fast as my 135 is now, $500 later...

But seriously, I cannot figure out why Nissan won't put a motor like the BMW's in a Z!! It would be an amazing car, and considering how much the 135 owners are loving the tuning scene...I cannot even imagine how much it would thrive in the Nissan culture. A car like the 370 that looks as good as it handles deserves a better engine!!