Thread: Oil Extractor
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
I guess. But I just figure if I'm going to be down there for the filter I might as well drain the oil there as well.

Now on the Mercedes where the oil filter is up top, an extractor would make more sense (to me).
The biggest issue with extractors is that many engines will not work with them as the dipstick run is hampered by lower-end baffling or a crazy bend of some sorts. There are a lot of American cars where it will not work (crazy Americans).

On one of the oil threads (I believe AK's) I did a comparison of what the extractor removed versus just the drain plug, and I think I was able to get eight (8) more ounces out. This is also one of the benefits of extractors, but not on all engines. You can typically get the tube to a lower point in the oil pan than the lowest point of the drain plug.