Thread: Nismo Cat Back
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Jessobear
Base Member

Drives: '10 370Z Tour/Sp M6
Jessobear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
there is definitely rasp if you add test pipes (resonated or not) or high flow cats to the nismo exhaust. i believe the H pipe is the culprit here. the new cats/tp's go from 2.5" pipe to the 2.25" flex pipe flanges, which end at 2" to the midpipe/resonators.

a member in the nismo forum said he added a custom 2.5" x-pipe which got rid of all his rasp. im determined to go this route as well...as soon as someone makes one!
I have the Nismo OEM exhaust with FI resonated HFC's and I can definitely tell you that my car does not have any noticeable exhaust rasp.

I also find it funny that everyone really gets on the piping diameters of the H pipe. Having stepped piping sizes is actually totally normal and can actually aid in the scavenging effect of the exhaust system. Think about this in terms of total cross-sectional area: passing the exhaust through two 2" diameter pipes is a greater cross-sectional area than passing through a single X or Y pipe.

The advantage of an X pipe has nothing to do with cross sectional area. It has to do with easier flow between the two sides of the exhaust due to a smoother transition compared with an H pipe. An X pipe will also have the effect of making the exhaust quieter from noise cancellation due to the easier cross flow of the two legs. The H pipe configuration is not a bad design in essence, which is why people have only seen small gains from other exhaust systems.

Here's a decent link about putting an X pipe exhaust system on a car:

Exhaust System Installation H-Pipe, X-Pipe,- Car Craft Magazine
Jessobear is offline   Reply With Quote