View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

1. Claiming that buying a certain manufacturer's wheels could "save your life" is insulting -- it's a scare tactic.

Show me any evidence of a correlation between any particular brand of wheel and accidents or death.

2. "Knock off" is misleading. There are about half a dozen identical or nearly identical "mesh" wheels floating around by different sponsors on here, and they all appear to be of similar quality (e.g., similar weight, development methods, forged), though they are sold under different names. Who's copying whom?

3. The irony is, there are really only about a dozen or so different wheel styles anyway. They're wheels -- not rare pieces of art.

Sorry, but this kind of advertising turns me away as a consumer.

What I care about: how is it manufactured, what will it cost relative to similar other wheels (see point #3) and what do they weigh?

As to quality control, show me evidence of that. Show me the company policy of how many wheels get pulled off the assembly line at random and tested before the whole batch gets boxed up and sent off? No one here has that info, and if they do, by all means, show me that not this "save your life" video.

Is it the same for Volk and SSR? What about Weds? How much does it matter? What's the industry standard? Is there one?

As to the maufacturing process, the major advantage of forging is that -- in theory -- you can make an equally strong wheel at a lower weight than a similarly desgined cast wheel.

If weight is irrelevant, and it's all about bling, then just buy what you want/can afford. The odds of the wheel simply failing in normal or even track driving is incredilby unlikely.

Likewise, smash a curb hard enough -- you'll damage a forged wheel too, "real" or "fake".

Guess that's why many racing teams and autoxers like Rotas -- another "knock off" wheel company. They can get what they want at a competitive price.

That I can respond to -- not scare tactics.

Last edited by Jordo!; 03-10-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote