View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #293 (permalink)
tranceformer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2009 370Z PW 6MT
tranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Man, I need to venture out to WPB with you guys to see what the hell I am doing wrong one day
come on down! the more the merrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.SLOW6MT View Post
Why do some guys trap 101 stock and some do 107+? A 6mph difference in trap? It's not like it's 1 case either. I've seen numerous 100-102 traps as well as numerous 107-108 traps bone stock. Why the huge margin? Driver error is not going to make up 6mph...
My car (stock) varied quite a bit even on the same track.

During the summer time here in WPB (DA's of 2000+ ft), I've trapped as low as 101 or 102 mph with 35 psi in the rear tires. That's throughout the entire night, not just one run or two.

During the winter when the DA's are negative, I've trapped as high as 105.7 mph with the rear tires deflated to 20 psi. I'd guessimate I'm losing about 1 mph from the rear tires at that pressure.

Another factor is shifting. If you're shifting isn't too quick (and mine isn't perfect either), you will lose a little mph on the run.

Practice makes perfect!

EDIT- NOT to start another 7AT vs 6MT war but after looking at dragtimes.com it seems like the only stock ones that trap high like 106ish are the 7AT guys. Have you seen how quick the shifts are on the 7AT? The ones that trap lower are probably mostly 6MT (slower shifts).

So add up all those factors: transmission, weather, driver, track. IMO, thats enough to account for the 6mph difference.

Ok, I'm done nerding it up for now.

Last edited by tranceformer; 03-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
tranceformer is offline   Reply With Quote