View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 AM   #158 (permalink)
KingDavid
Base Member

Drives: A car
KingDavid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBitten View Post
Big cube motors like a 8.4Ltr Viper or 7Ltr Z06 wont gain 90-100rwhp from i/e/h and tune but a 3.7ltr 370z will? Sadly Im out of the game now but if someone can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the 3.7ltr 370z can indeed make 90rwhp that easily I may have to ignore the economy and my own finances and get one at all cost.

Easy way for him to find out if that g37 is making 345rwhp. Hit the 1/4 track and tell us what your trap speed is. Im not the most knowledgable guy here but in the years of me spending at the drags Ive learned the 1/4 mile exposes bs dyno numbers from my experience. I remember a guy that supposedly made 445rwhp on a stock engined DE. I never believed him then I saw him run at the track and his best run he could only muster 113mph flat out lol. He should be easily pulling 118-122mph and on a really good run around 124mph all things being equal or at least in the 118 range consistantly. The dyno said 445rwhp but the 1/4 said NO WAY BUDDY. Dynos are for tuning and 1/4 mile is for proving Ive always said.
I believe phimosis did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post

Sorry the image quality is low. I snapped this from my iPhone.

Black line: Stock, but with rear muffler section removed.

Red line: Stillen G3 intakes, Stillen headers, Stillen Cats, Stillen exhaust.

Blue line: Stillen parts + Technosquare ECU reflash + dyno time.

In summary: $3,200 in Stillen parts gave a 26 hp increase over stock to bring it up to 328 compared to the original 302.

$700 for ECU reflash and dyno time ($500 for reflash only) gave an extra 15 whp for a total of 343 whp.

In total, it was nearly $5,000 including installation of the parts to gain 40 whp over stock. The throttle response in now extremely precise. The sound is wonderful, the over-rev to 8100 rpm is phenominal. The "Buzzy" engine vibrations that car magazines have been talking about are no worse above 7500 rpm. If anything, it smooths out a little.

One last thought: Lets pretend I gained 2 hp from removing the stock rear exhaust section. This car would have made 300 hp in this dyno. If the stock engine was 332 crank hp and it made 300 hp on this dyno, that's a conversion factor of 1.1066 for frictional loss (332/300). After mods, this car is making 343 hp on this dyno, which would be roughly 380 hp at the crank (343 x 1.1066). Not bad.

-Phim
KingDavid is offline   Reply With Quote