View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #282 (permalink)
davidyan
Base Member

Drives: PG 370Z Sport 6MT
davidyan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra1 View Post
-CLUTCH CLUNK-
When going from first to second gear, if I haven't got the revs up to around 3k or above, when I depress the clutch to go to second it makes a very distinctive clunk sound. It only does it from first to second, and only if the rpms are low. I can also get it to surface if I'm in first going slowly in a parking lot and depress the clutch, I'll here it then too.
Anyone else experiencing this????

Braden
I get it too, exactly as you describe. It sounds like something is going to break and you can actually feel the clutch disengaging which lightly thumps the car. Although it doesn't sound great, I think it is normal and due to the following:

When the car is going at a very low speed with the clutch fully engaged, like a car about to stall, it jerks a little bit. By disengaging the clutch suddenly when you step on the clutch pedal, you release the engine from the transmission causing the thump. It also happens at lower speeds because the car bogs a little bit . At higher speeds, there is no/minimal bogging.

I used to work at a dealership and a car shop in high school and noticed that this thumping or clunking when depressing the clutch is more noticeable in cars that are RWD where the clutch / tranny is located closer to the driver's seat. Its definitely not isolated to the 370Z. Hope this helps but let me know if the dealer tells you otherwise or has a quick fix.
davidyan is offline   Reply With Quote