Thread: took vdc off
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #108 (permalink)
SeattleLion
Base Member

Drives: '13 Mustang GT Prem.
SeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
My point was a lot more people wrecked their cars before we got things like VDC.

Not sure what the insurance rate on the Z has to do with it...
I also think that sports cars (not counting the 'vette in this discussion) had a lot less power in the old days. My 240 was very hard to spin even though there was nothing at all electronic in it. Mostly I think that was due to the power-to-weight ratio of the car. Nowadays our Z's have a lot more power. This increased ability to move certainly challenges the driver without VDC. I think the fact is that the market for Z's would be a lot smaller without the computer support.

My first car was a GTO (I am old!). It was way overpowered. One time I hit the gas hard when stopped and I just sat in place burning up my rear tires. It was a very hard car to handle.

I leave VDC on. I also have the automatic (which I frequently shift with the paddles). As a computer person, I figure I should take a cue from top gun fighter pilots. They let their onboard computers do as much work as possible. They reserve their skills for things only a human can manage.

If you are an experienced race car driver, you probably can manage a Z with no problem at all even with VDC off and no ABS. My reflexes and skills are not up to reliably handling the car without some help.

There is no shame is taking advantage of technology to improve safety. I find the VDC lets me slide a little. I don't feel it is taking over often at all.
SeattleLion is offline   Reply With Quote