Thread: No test drive.
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

My approach was to point to the Z and say "I want one of these. Unless something bizarre comes to light during the test drive." That's all it took to send them running for the keys. Do you see the subtle difference in this approach? Most people put the test drive first; it's a 'Let me take a test drive, and if the experience impresses me, I might want it' approach. Whereas my approach was to flip-flop things and take an 'I already know I want it, the test drive isn't to sell me on it, it's to make sure no red flags pop up' approach. I think dealerships are a lot more willing to give out test drives this way, because basically what you're telling them is that they don't have to earn or make the sale, and you're not just there to joy-ride; all they have to do is avoid screwing it up by being stupid.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote