View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Killer View Post
Who told you that it would void your warranty. If the dealership told you that they are dead wrong. Keep in mind that any modifications that are done to your vehicle have to be proven by Nissan that the actual part caused a defect which is outside of what the warranty will cover. Install it. I haven't installed mine yet but I ran into an issue with an under drive pulley from stillen that I wanted to install. The Nissan dealership near my home said it would void my warranty b/c it might mess up the timing which they are dead wrong. So I called the dealership I bought the car from and they said no it will not void your warranty. Look online there is an actual act that protects "us" consumers when it pertains to a warranty on a vehicle. The dealer must prove that the part is the reason for defect.
VQ engines aren't super expensive, but I would still think an area rep would be called in to inspect the car. All this service-writer he said, she said stuff is worthless.

If it's not in writing, it doesn't matter.

An oil cooler could void the warranty as Nissan could claim the oil was not able to heat up to proper temp and that is why: your bearing spun, your rod was thrown, your valve spring broke, whatever.

It all depends on the position of the moon, the area rep, and Nissan corporate, whether they would warranty that engine or not, but I doubt they would.

Quote:
I am going to have to disagree with you there bud. I live in NC and the weather can get up to the 100s throw in the humidity and you might as well be in Iraq. I understand not beating a dead horse but at the same time the issue of high oil temperatures would not have been brought up if they were not true.
I live in Shreveport, LA. 100* and 90% is the rule here for the summer on a cool day. My friend beats the piss out of his car, and doesn't change the oil until the oil-life monitor tells him to. He still only hits 220-240*F on the oil gauge or so. Of course, he doesn't track it. Just driving it in a spirited (destructive?) manner on the street. He makes bank and doesn't care. I have seen him take it over curbs (not scraping, but still) without blinking to flip a U if there is no cross-over. His car has held up and rides like new. I wouldn't worry with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
Synthetic oil are fully capable of 300F, that's a fact.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Most people try to keep things 210-240 for the track, but if you see 260-280's now and then its no big deal.

Quote:
Hey man 240-250 is high as well. Anything over 230 is causing damage to the engine. 212 is a normal High temp for the 370z. I run Royal Purple what do you have in yours? About 260 is when I ran into limp mode.
I run mobil 1 just because that is factory fill on my car. I only have it serviced at the dealer. However, if I ran it at the track, or if I were to beat on it, I would change out the Mobil 1 for something that wouldn't shear. Probably go with 0-30 Castrol Syntec, or Amsoil. Both are better oils and shear much less than Mobil 1 or Royal purple. If you are running RP's "street" oil (i.e. not their straight weight racing oil), I would encourage you to research your choice a bit more. That stuff shears fast on every UOA I ever saw.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 03-04-2011 at 12:37 AM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote