Thread: Washer Mod
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #62 (permalink)
Rui Z
Track Member

Drives: 8====D
Rui Z has a spectacular aura aboutRui Z has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongMan View Post
Thanks. Pick either side. Blacked out or Subaru style. But on topic, why exhaust leak is dangerous and I think it's stupid to do it just to sound better:

Can an exhaust leak affect a car's performance?

"No, but it can kill the occupants of the car.

There is a good reason why tailpipes terminate past the rear bumper. Exhaust fumes can be sucked into the car by the partial vacuum created by the vehicle passing through the airstream. No car is completely sealed from the outside and that is why the trunk on a car has a double sealed rubber weatherstrip."
I would agree with you about the exhaust leak being bad if you were running HFC's or test pipes. But I believe the people who are doing the washer mod all have stock catalytic converters. All modern catalytic converters (our 370Z is a LEVII-ULEV cars which emit < 1.7 grams of CO/mile) convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide so efficiently that it will not kill you while driving if a portion of the fumes were to leak into the car. There have been a significant drop in carbon monoxide suicides from car fumes because of the more efficient cats.

People are not stupid for doing the washer mod on here. Just don't do it with HFC's, and especially not with test pipes.