View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guard Dad
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Silver A7
Guard Dad will become famous soon enough

The stock speakers really are junk. I replaced them with Polk (601's as I recall) 6.5" woofers and matching tweeters for the dash using the Polk supplied crossover. The Polk speakers are way better than stock and produce strong volume and extend the high and low response. In my opinion you'll still want more bass. I'm considering a low profile self powered sub (about $200).

The rear speaker locations are setup for 3.5" speakers and there is an output from the head unit for rear speakers but I'm not sure if it's a pre amp output or an amplified output. Also many forum members feel that the rear speakers are actually counter productive because they move the "sound stage" from the dash to somewhere in the middle of the cabin.

At some point someone is going to tell you to get a new head unit and drop the stock unit because it's junk. Well I don't think it's junk but it has real limitations. Some of them are: It's difficult/costly/impossible to add the rear speakers or a sub woofer or sat radio or HD radio or play MP3's & DVD's or connect/integrate an ipod/iphone or add blue tooth. A new head unit can solve all of these problems.

My advice (and I'm not an expert) is to do a front speaker upgrade and see what you think. If want more bass or need more features you're going to want a new head unit because it will have many more features than the stock unit, will easily accommodate expansion and probably cost less in the long run.

I've done the speakers and I'm still looking for more (blue tooth, compact self-powered sub woofer, rear speakers {maybe I will regret it, if so I'll just adjust the fader} and rear mounted USB ipod interface). I haven't found the exact head unit I want but you can expect to spend $200 on the subwoofer, $450 on a double DIN DVD capable (non navigation) head unit, $100 for the rear speakers and another $100 for installation accessories. These prices are for good but by no means high end equipment and the assume that you do all of the work yourself.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 02-25-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Guard Dad is offline   Reply With Quote