View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Note: Peak torque will be measured higher if dynoed in 5th rather than 4th gear -- this is an artifact of gear multiplication, and I believe 4th gear will provide more stable values that can be compared from vehicle to vehicle (even with non OEM tire sizes) and across transmissions.

In 4th gear, looks like my original torque estimate is correct; in 5th gear is appears to be closer to 235-240 lb ft.

Although 1:1 is 5th for both transmsissions, most of the dynos I have seen were done in 4th gear for the 6MT -- and always for the 7AT.

To get consistent estimates across vehicles, my suggestion is that everyone just dyno in 4th.

Failing that at least note the gear when you post dyno graphs or report values to the rest of us -- gearing makes a big difference in what is actually measured, and that will affect how we interpret the effect of mods.

See discussion on this topic here The Effect of Dynoing in Different Gears

Last edited by Jordo!; 02-23-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote