View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
optiontrader
Track Member

Drives: 40th
optiontrader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonWill View Post
I would definitely get her at least a 1.5 ct. I don't care what they said. Bigger is always better. Save yourself from having to buy another one 5 or 10 years down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheee! View Post
I would focus on the quality of the stone, not so much the size. I would suggest a 1 ct diamond.
I purchased my engagement ring (1ct) from an in-law who knew the jewelry biz. SI2, H color (still white), but the CUT was amazing. It just lit from the inside. That ring was stolen, and the replacement was another 1ct, but was VS(something), E color, and more expensive. But the cut, though rated well, wasn't as good - sparkled, but no fire.

I'm with Clemson's saying, "bigger is better" - I ended up getting her a two carat down the road.

For you, recommend aiming for the 1.5ct. While the clarity and color increase the value of the diamond, and usually what we men focus on (specs, specs, SPECS!!! ), the diamond ring is an emotional gift. And something that's big and bright will win her heart more than the description sheet that comes with the rock.

BTW, I purchased the 2ct from Blue Nile as well. GREAT company!

40th Anniversary Z - 3M Paint Protection Film, CA Legal Tint! (70/40)
optiontrader is offline   Reply With Quote