View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #95 (permalink)
Guard Dad
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Silver A7
Guard Dad will become famous soon enough

Some thoughts on the clutch pedal issue. I don't know if this has been resolved or not but the clutch pedal sticking to the floor was a common problem on certain types of muscle car clutches in the 60's. These clutches would essentially go "over center" when fully released and the G forces generated within the clutch at high revs pinned the clutch in the released position. One solution was to install a travel limiter to prevent the over center condition. Unfortunately such a simple solution doesn't seem to apply in this case.

Since my Z is an A7 I can't confirm my theory but I'll put it out for discussion anyway. Many clutch systems have an assist spring on the clutch pedal assembly, if the Z has such a spring we may have a possible answer to the mystery. The assist spring assembly is typically laid out to push the pedal to the floor in the second half of its travel and lift the pedal off the floor in the first half of travel. In this environment if the clutch fluid were to boil the pedal would stick to the floor when depressed. So addressing the overheating clutch fluid might solve the problem.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 02-22-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Guard Dad is offline   Reply With Quote