View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrat View Post
I Just turned over 800 miles on my new 2011 Touring/Sport 7AT. I use this car for a daily driver but have some concerns driving this car on longer trips. I have a need to take a trip once a year and it will be approximately 450 miles each way. I'm wondering if the road noise and limited room in the car will wear on me. I love this car for everyday driving and commuting. My son complains he doesn't have enough leg room on the passenger side. Has anyone taken this car on long drives?
After several trips from Phoenix, AZ to LA, Cali (325~mi. one way) I can say this much:

1. I have no problems taking it on the road, its a very fun/responsive car in the turns and in the straightaways, the possibility of cops are the only reason it's a 5 hour trip instead of a 3 and a half hour trip.

2. Road noise I find is not a problem, although I can hear the road, I'm not so anal not to expect it from a car in this class/height from the ground/form of tires. If that might bother you, another set of tires might help out. However, to combat this I either roll down the windows and let the wind drown out the road noise. I also turn my stereo up and that takes care of it. Lastly, I'll just push on the gas a little more and let my exhaust take over. Plenty of options in this wonderful car.

3. At 6'0" I find I have plenty of leg room on these cruises, and even still I make sure when I can to set the cruise control and put my legs in a more relaxed position until I get into traffic again. Gives them a break. On the passenger side, there are no pedals so theoretically he should have more room??

4. The only thing I will say about long cruises is depending on where you are climate wise and what type of terrain/elevation changes you will encounter, you will see your Oil Temp rise. With 100*F+ ambient temps, on the biggest uphill portion of my cruises I do hit 240*F oil temps. Now this is not to cause an alarm, but it still higher than I'd like to have it. So an Oil Cooler is a good idea if you plan on making these trips often... Just something else to think about.

Hope that helps.

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote