View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
dad
Grand Prix of Endurance

Drives: Mulsanne Straight
dad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Nash View Post
Let me state for the record that I'm not an engineer or mechanic or anything close; my expertise is accounting, finance and IT.

BUT...

I have learned to realy on people that are engineers and mechanics when it comes to engineering/mechanical issues (and I have on numerous occasions stayed at Holiday Inn Express hotels).

SO...

I've had conversations about this very issue with both Nissan engineers and with Doug Stewart (Doug owns Crawford Z Car Service in Nashville and has made his living repairing and racing Zs and Nissan's in general for over 30 years; his shop is also were we [Nissan] takes vehicles form the heritage collection for work. I won't advertise his website here but Doug has developed many performance parts for Zs including, of course, the 350 and I can only assume he is working on parts for the 370) and as Doug's shop sells and installs intake kits he has a vested interest in encouraging their use.

So with that said and after that long introduction...what Doug and Nissan engineers have told me is what I mentioned above; that the air box set-up on the 350/370 is more than adequate to feed the engine all the air it can handle in anything near stock form and using a low restriction air filter is as much of an increase in air flow as the engine can use/need.

Certainly, if you are going to start dong major modifications that will give the enging a greate need/ability for air then that's a different equaiton but putting an intake on the stock engine does not get you anything; at least not enough of anythign to justify the expense.

Now; I've nothign against intake kits and they do add a nice look to the engine and most people, including me, think they give the intake a nice "sound" but if you are lookinf for a measurable HP/Tq increase it seems that there are better ways to spend your money.

Disclaimer: nothing I've said above should be construed as offering mechanical advice nor is it the official position of Nissan North America or Nissan Motor Limited; no warranty is either expressed or implied...you sould should consult professionals in your area who can evaluate your specific circumstances...Live Long and Prosper!!!
Well, they've worked on nothing but Nissan's for thirty years, and Nissan's are all they work on. I'd accept their word , before a lot of other companies! A friend of mine who lives in Clarksville, took off his intake, and went back to stock. He stated that the sound was great, but no performance benefit.

We can do without any article of luxury we have never had; but once obtained, it is not in human nature to surrender it voluntary.
dad is offline   Reply With Quote