View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Baer383
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: My foot up your azz
Baer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrshocker View Post
i did alot of research and ended up using VHT nightshades.

I took the lights off the car, (third brake light is a PITA). SOme people say to sand the lights prior to application.. I didn't. Cleaned the lights off with some rubbing alchol and let em dry, then sprayed a very VERY light coat of the VHT on them, after bout 5 min, i sprayed a heavier coat on them. Waited 10 mins and sprayed again... waitied about 30 min and then wet sanded it down with 2000 grit. cleaned em off and then sprayed VHT again. let that sit for about 45 min, then a VERY light coat of acylic enamel clear coat on them, let it sit for about 30 min, then wet sanded again. cleaned em off then a light coat of clear, let it sit for 10 min, then another coat.... i put 4 coats on like this.., at the end i wet sanded again, then used a rubbing compound, then a polish, then a wax.....
You have to sand and prep the surface or the VHT will not stick and after sanding you should also use adhesion promoter,I have seen this time after time people bring their tail lights into my body shop they tell me what happen and how they prep it and your story sounds all to familiar.

I not trying to be a d*ck I'm just telling you in advance so when it happens you will be less mad.

754 rwhp 747 rwtq
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote