View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #136 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSpeed View Post
Uhhhh, I'm not talking about wear items like brakes and tires, I'm talking about important things like an engine. My GTI has 63,000 miles on it, 20+ track days, maxed out stock turbo, and the temp gauge has never risen above 190 on the hottest, humidest of August days after a 40 minute session at Watkins Glen. Simply stated, I would expect a Nissan track car to hold up a better than my "grocery getter" GTI. Further more, I've seen plenty of bone stock cars at the track run balls to the wall for 2 days with absolutely no issues, including some wacko in a Prius. You sir, have no idea what you're talking about. But, this is the internet, so...

I don't? I have more track days in the Z alone than you do in the GTI, and I am not even including days from other cars. I think it had 47K when I traded it in. As speed goes up, wear and tear item goes up also. It's just the law of physics.

I don't think people are overheating their cars, they are overheating their oil (well some I think are just people panicing). Big difference there. Lastly, a stock car would not be able to handle 20 days without changing pads and brake fluids, it simply doesn't happen. Heck, even 20 minutes at max speed is pushing it, especially on a car with around 300HP.

I think the water temp gauge on most new cars are dummy gauges, you are going to read 190 unless you absolutely overheat it.
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote