View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
Unclemeaty
Base Member

Drives: 150cc Scooter
Unclemeaty is on a distinguished road

Folks,

Before installing the RadioShack Mini-amp, I took it apart and put a 10uF capacitor in-line with the input's center. This removes the MiniAmp from interfering with the Engine's sensor, as itself being such a simplt electronic can be known to produce it's own variances on the input terminals. Installing the CAP places a buffer between the ECU and the Mini-Amp.

The response from the Mini-Amp is exceptional. I can hear all sorts of engine noise from the valve-train to the shifter. The mini-amp sounds like a mild diesel engine when amplified all the way; at idle. it is very clear and clean (my valves seem to be very quiet and well adjusted matter of fact.) The noise coming from it's internal speaker is just about enough, but headphones are recommended for better loudness and clarity. The Mini-amp's gain is enough volume to blow your ears out using headphones so be carefull.

The sound of ping/detonation can be heard in the form of what I can describe as a "tweety bird", up around 10,000hz. The noise is in-audible just from listening to the engine, but the sensor/mini-amp surely picks it up out of any other sound.

I began performing my first few runs at road tuning with a help of a friend who drove while I worked the maps using Cipher real-time tuning. With A/F focusing at about 12.6:1... One thing is for sure, the timing maps do have some headroom. At RPMs greater than 6000, I heard pinging with the timing Low Det maps set close to 70. The max I was able to put the timing at WOT was about 67 from 6-7500 which created a condition of 27 degrees BTDC. From 5-6000 the timing_low_det map was able to be more advanced, where I left the settings at +-70 and heard NO Pinging. I didnt further advance beyond about 71-72 at this point in this area just because I didnt care to as already the values I'd changed would have made about a 3-7 degree timing difference.

The biggest areas of improvement were in the 2-3000 rpm range during this last seating. Likely because I'd already been messaging the timing and fuel maps at high RPM under my own datalogs and pulls. I immediately noticed that at +-3000 rpm at WOT, the A/F was running far too lean. With the fuel_target set to 13.2 in this area, I actually logged the ECU/engine hitting 15:1 at about +-3,000 RPM signifying a lean condition. The RS Mini-amp also "tweeted" (sounds of pinging). This can be likely blamed and attributed to Nissan and Emissions concerns, EPA and MPG. I raised the calculated load maps from ~19.7 to ~20.1 in the 2500-4000 area and then ran about 3-4 test pulls each in 2nd and 3rd gear and got the A/F where I wanted them (about <13.5:1 from 2500-4000 rpm). I had to make several point adjustments in the main consumption maps, but no more than about 2-3 points in changes. The car feel very good at WOT in this area now, whereas before it was way too lean for my liking (15:1), pinging, and not 100% smooth. Its smooth now.

In all, I'm very happy with my street tune. My butt-dyno approves too as it can feel the best difference in the 2-4000 area. Combined with log-tuning from the past week or so I believe the car is running stronger than ever. I'm gonna let this map settle so the ECU can learn just a bit before I go to the Dyno this coming Thursday for the benchmark of my tuning rewards.

Last edited by Unclemeaty; 02-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Unclemeaty is offline   Reply With Quote