View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #130 (permalink)
Phimosis
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 911 4S
Phimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Hell if I know! LOL... I'm not good with tuning. I know what certain things will gain most of the time, but when it comes to tuning, especially with a motor this complex, I have no idea.

I'd assume that it's going to take some time for them to come up with real tunes for this motor because there's far more to deal with than just a standard cam/valve motor. There's probably going to be experiments going on with them for a good 2-3 years before something GOOD comes out of it. Like the LSx motors... They've been around since 97 and they're a very simple motor to tune, but they've only started coming out with good cams and tunes recently. Up until then, it was hit-n-miss. Expect that to be the same for this motor.

Using this logic, the VQ engine should already be tuned to it's prime as it came out all the way back in 1994. If you want to argue that the VQ37 is a new engine, it came out in 2008 just like the LS3 did. And the LSx motors did have good cam and tuning. Back in 2001 the 5.7 liter stock Z06 was making 405 hp and by 2003 with aftermarket cam and blower, people had these motors making 700 whp. Sure, the VVEL is more complex, but smart people can reverse engineer graphics chips with 20 million discreet circuits in a 2 year time frame. Remapping the rate of rotation vs rpm of the VVEL and making fuel maps is a piece of cake in comparison. Don't take this personally as an attack on you. I am only ranting because I'm bitter that you can ALREADY buy a Camaro from the dealer that makes 560whp (660 at the engine? 2 months after the car hit the showroom floor?) and we can't even get a Nismo Z yet that makes 15hp more than the base model.

I think there is just more R&D in the aftermarket for American cars, which is somewhat baffling because European and Japanese manufacturers sell lots of cars all over the world, where American manufacturers only have good sales in North America.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote