View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

I've driven both v6 gen and Z coupes. Both automatics. I really like the gens handling and I think for the price, its fit and finish is above average in its price range. BUT, that 6at is garbage. It can't hold gears like the 7at. Its not free revving. In other words the ecm makes sure it shifts like 500rpm before
Redline. Another issue I find is from 80 to around 100-105mph it gets really sluggish. Then suddenly bursts with a load of torque and the ecm is really intrusive on the torque.
What I love about the gen is it has a better lsd and the brembos are top notch in performance. But the gen can't come close to duplicating that exotic drive experience the Z provides. The Z is an unexplicably incredible machine for the price. I would like to see nissan as a whole on all models step into the 21st century when it comes to features though.
Lastly, I know the gencoupe is faster than my altima. But because its tranny is so crappy. It feels slower. When you make a sports car. You gotta have the sport factor no matter which tranny u buy. The Z has created a slushbox that if someone who didn't know drove it? They would think its a dct. Too many companies try to make sports cars and neglect the auto. (Mazda is king of auto neglect). I wouldn't say hyundai neglected ythe 6at. But they didn't R&D that well. If hyundai wants to compete. It needs 3 things.
1. Better transmissions
2. Better ECM/ECU
3.Wider tires on track and Rspec models.

If those things were improved? Nissan might feel some heat? Without these changes? The gen can get 380hp and it will still be inferior... let's see what 2012 brings????
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote