Thread: best way to dry
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tanooki View Post
I used to buff of my previous car with a high quality leather. They dry hard so wet it to soften the material, then ring out as much of the water as you can and you're left with a super-absorbent cloth that's softer then baby skin and doesn't leave smears or shed any dust whatsoever. They can be a little pricey though for a cloth.
Sounds like you're talking about a "shammy" or Chamois. There is one major problem with those however, and that is not all Chamois are authentic. Everything that you will find in the big box and auto stores are usually made in China crap consisting of goat or pig skin, instead of being made from the actual Chamois, a goat-antelope species native to mountains in Europe, including the Carpathian Mountains of Romania, the European Alps, the Tatra Mountains, the Balkans, parts of Turkey, and the Caucasus.

Now I didn't remember that off the top of my head, I had to look that up!

Anywho, if you think that what you are getting in a auto store cost a lot, those prices are nothing compared to the cost of real Chamois which is often used in the glove making industry. For example, a 40x60cm piece of real Chamois will run you around $50 US. But man, they make some of the best driving and golf gloves that you will ever put your hands into. I paid $60 for my Chamois golf gloves.

That China made junk is garbage and will scratch up your paint. I used enough of it in the 80's to know first hand.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 02-07-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote